Delegation of the European Union to Ghana

European Union in Ghana Celebrates 2018 Climate Change Week in Accra

26/09/2018 - 13:12
News stories

The European Union Delegation to Ghana launches Climate Change this week, under the theme: 'Talanoa Dialogue on Climate Solutions' with its implementing partners Environment360 and Ga East Municipal Assembly. The week will run between the 24th and the 28th September 2018 and has a variety of activities planned to encourage children introducing the Reducing, Reusing and Recycling (3Rs) principles into their lives. To support this initiative the European Union has donated 50 recycling bins to the Green View Valley Environmental Clubs in the Ga East. The Valley View Environmental Clubs are an initiative of the Ga East Municipal Assembly to help form sustainable habits in children during their formative years.

Launch of Climate Change Week in Accra

Recyclable waste generated from bins will be collected by Environment360 and sold to third parties. A portion of the revenues will then be apportioned back to the environmental clubs to support them in carrying out a variety of activities for their schools and the surrounding communities.

In addition to the donation of bins, the European Union is also hosting a school play for five hundred (500) school children in the Ga East Municipal District, as well as hosting a recycling art contest among eight (8) private schools in the Accra area.

Paolo Salvia, Acting Head of the EU Delegation mentioned in his opening speech that "building resilient societies cannot be delayed and children will have a crucial role in the contribution to a greener and sustainable future in Ghana".

Environment360
Environment360

Founder and Executive Director of Environment360, Cordie Aziz, stated that she is looking forward to the week’s activities and feels that the activities will have a great impact on the students participating.

“The EU Delegation to Ghana’s support to the recycling club, the school play and recycling contests are great ways to help build awareness in children about how they can help combat climate change. We are happy to be a part of this year’s celebration as we support sustainable habits in Ghana.”

Environment360 started in November of 2013 and formalized in December of 2014, the Organization helps communities harness the full value of their waste streams by creating community, corporate and school recycling programs. The organization also specializes in creating indigenous education programs. The organization works with community members to create tailored recycling programs that fit the needs, culture and values of the community it serves.

The organization has built a solid reputation during the past five years and has had the opportunity to work with partners such as Fan Milk, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT) and Dow Chemicals.

In 2016 the organization was named the recycling coordinator for the city of Accra by the AMA Solid Waste Department and now currently supports the AMA school recycling program by providing education and collection of recyclable materials.

The organization received a special mention at the 1st Green Ghana Awards and Expo in 2016 and was the UNICEF Reach for Change Winner in 2015.

Ga East Municipal Assembly
Ga East Municipal Assembly

Hon. Janet Mensah Tulasi, the Chief Executive of the Ga Municipal Assembly, stated that, “Climate change is a global problem today and Ghana is not of exception, therefore, launching of EU Climate Diplomacy Week here is certainly appropriate and relevant”

She also noted that that currently there are 372 students enrolled in the environmental clubs, which are mainly operated by teachers at the schools.

Ga East Municipal Assembly which was curved out of the then Ga District was established in 2004 by an Act of Parliament (Legislative Instrument 1589) as a district and was later elevated to a municipality status in 2008 by LI 1864. The Municipality is represented in the general Assembly by Ten (10) elected and Four (4) appointed Assembly members with one Member of Parliament. The Municipality is sub divided into two local administrative areas known as Zonal Councils - Abokobi Zonal Council and Dome Zonal Council.

The Municipal Assembly has about 52 settlements with about 82% of the population living in the urban areas. The remaining 18% occupies the rural areas. The Municipal capital Abokobi is approximately 29 kilometers from the countries capital city Accra. Some major towns in the municipality include Haatso, Dome, Taifa and Kwabanya.

Editorial Sections: