The Delegation represents the EU in the Pacific region, as part of the bloc's unified diplomatic corps – the European External Action Service
With full diplomatic privileges and immunities and an ambassador (Head of Delegation), the Delegation functions much like an embassy.
In all matters pertaining to the EU, we work closely with the diplomatic missions of the EU member countries.
Indeed, issues like trade promotion and consular matters are handled solely by these national embassies, consulates (and sometimes tourism offices).
Main work of the Delegation
- promote and defend the values and interests of the EU and its member countries across the Pacific region
- further EU-Pacific relations, bilaterally and regionally
- prepare and oversee the implementation of development cooperation in the Pacific region
- ensure effective policy coordination with EU countries present in the region
- keep EU headquarters informed of developments in the Pacific that are relevant to EU policies
- promote knowledge and understanding of Pacific countries in the EU, and vice versa