The EU Delegation to the African Union is located in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia and consists of 47 staff members. It comprises five Sections: the Head of Delegation's office, Political Section; Administration Section; Cooperation Section, and Finance, Contracts and Audit Section. The establishment of the Delegation in January 2008 was an important political statement by the EU: the recognition that, the African Union and its Commission has become a strategic partner in EU relations with Africa.
We offer a post of Office Support Agent . Under this post, the recruited person will be attributed functions depending on the needs of the Delegation. Upon recruitment, the successful candidate will occupy a specific job function as Office Support Agent – this job function may be changed in accordance with the needs of the Delegation. Under this position the successful candidate will perform functions of receptionist; provide general administrative support and occasional secretarial support to the Delegation, under the supervision and responsibility of the Head of Administration.
Tasks will include, but are not limited to the following:
• Receive and welcome and inform outside visitors in accordance with the security regulations; direct visitors to the appropriate person in the Delegation; maintain records of effected visits.
• Liaise with the security personnel for security checks during regular meetings and/or scheduled High Level visits to the Delegation.
• Answer, screen and forward incoming phone calls; provide basic and accurate information in-person and via phone/email; update & circulate by e-mail Delegation's internal telephone extension list.
• Maintain and update a register of incoming and outgoing documents.
• Receive, register, sort and distribute daily mail/deliveries in respective pigeon boxes; dispatch and collect mail via DHL e.g. Diplomatic Pouch.
• Prepare monthly presence lists for EU Delegation staff's signature.
• Manage the upkeep of the reception area.
Administrative and secretarial duties
• Maintain an updated list of useful contacts for the Delegation.
• Contact goods and services providers on behalf of the Administration & follow up status.
• Manage & follow up on reimbursement of private telephone calls of Delegation's staff such as ADSL and private telephone (landline and mobile) on the basis of invoices issued by Ethio Telecom and HQ; collect cash, issue receipts & prepare petty cash revenue for collected cash.
• Follow up on periodic payments of Office and Residence utilities.
• Assist in organisation of internal and external events such as meetings, workshops, and other events.
• Occasionally perform other clerical / secretarial duties such as e-mailing, photocopying, transcribing, faxing, keeping agendas, drafting notes and standard letters, registering documents in ARES.
• Act as backup for the secretary in the administrative section.
• Perform other support tasks as requested by the Head of Administration.
Place of employment is Addis Ababa, in the premises of the Delegation of the EU to the AU. Employment condition is on full time basis, with 37.5 weekly working hours in a dynamic and multi-cultural environment. The Group in the salary scale for the position of Office Support Agent is G4 with starting basic salary of Euro 924. We offer a competitive position in an international environment. Benefits, such as transportation allowance, provident funds and medical insurance, are offered to employees and their families.
Medically fit to perform the required duties;
Advanced level knowledge of English and Amharic languages;
High School Leaving Certificate & Minimum 5 years of working experience related to the job description
The following will be considered an asset:
Post high school certificate in Management, Marketing, Economics or Secretarial and office Management certificate.
Work experience in international organizations and/or diplomatic missions.
Knowledge of French.
Personal initiative, flexibility, well organized and able to perform duties independently with speed and accuracy;
Very good team player, able to adapt in a multi-cultural environment;
High degree of integrity and discretion.
How to apply
Please send your application and supporting documents to DELEGATION-AFRICAN-UNION-VACANCIES@eeas.europa.eu. The package should include a motivation letter, a detailed CV (using the attached EU CV template), and copies of academic certificates and testimonials.
After the deadline for applications, the applications will be reviewed by a Selection Committee set up for this purpose. The Selection Committee will prepare a short-list of candidates who are considered to be the most suitable for the post on the basis of a preliminary assessment of the information provided in their application letter and the supporting documents. The short-listed candidates will be invited to an assessment phase which may include a written test. Only candidates that have obtained a satisfactory grade in the written test will be invited to an interview – during these two phases, the Selection Committee will assess the suitability of the
candidates for the post.
The Delegation will not supply further information or discuss the selection procedure by telephone or e-mail.
The candidates who have not been short-listed will not be contacted individually; however, the Delegation will use the same means of publication as for this Vacancy Notice, or by sending individual e-mails, to inform the remaining candidates once the recruitment procedure has been completed and that a candidate has (or has not) been recruited.
The deadline for applications is: 30/09/2018