"Enhancing a gender responsive film sector in the Maghreb-Mashreq region," a project funded by the European Union under the Med Film programme, launches eight (8) calls for proposals to support regional actions aiming to promote gender-responsive film sector of Arab expressions in Algeria, Egypt, Jordan, Lebanon, Libya, Morocco and Tunisia. These eight actions concern:
- Action 1: Monitoring gender equality in films and within the film industry of Arabic expressions
- Action 2: Creation of an online directory of female film professionals in the Maghreb-Mashreq region & Advocacy for the promotion of gender equality in the film industry of Arabic expressions
- Action 3: Sensitization of Maghreb-Mashreq film industry’s actors on gender-related stereotypes and the promotion of cultural diversity
- Action 4: Sensitization of national public entities in the Maghreb-Mashreq region supporting film development as part of the creative industries to integrate a gender responsive approach
- Action 5: Capacity-building of female film professionals in the Maghreb-Mashreq region
- Action 6: Capacity-building of film producers to integrate a gender responsive approach in the film production in the Maghreb-Mashreq region
- Action 7: Support to film and audio-visual schools & organisation of a series of film screenings addressing youth and women in the Maghreb-Mashreq region
- Action 8: Support women’s participation in the film festivals in the Maghreb-Mashreq region
The indicative total amount available for the eight actions is EUR 760,000.00/USD 906,642.00. Any grant requested under this call for proposals must fall between minimum EUR 80,000.00 and maximum EUR 100,000.00.
“Enhancing a gender responsive film sector in the Maghreb-Mashreq region” aims to:
- Promote freedom of expression by encouraging film makers from the region to address gender equality and empower women;
- Promote the role of female film professionals in the region by harnessing an enabling environment to formulate and express their own concerns;
- Tackle gender-related stereotypes, improve the image of women in films and promote understanding, tolerance and cultural diversity.
This project is implemented by a consortium led by UNESCO, in partnership with UN Women, Mena Media Monitoring (MMM) and the International Women Film Festival of Salé (IWFFS), and in association with Sud Ecriture and the Arab League Educational, Cultural and Scientific Organization (ALECSO). The project is a component of the MedFilm programme reflecting the EU's efforts to promote gender equality. It is also in the framework of UNESCO’s Priority Gender Equality Action Plan and it supports freedom of expression and the diversity of cultural expressions throughout the MENA region.
*Deadline for submission: 11 March 2018 at 19:00 (GMT)
For further information: https://en.unesco.org/partnerships/foe/gender-responsive-film-in-south-mediterranean-region