Delegation of the European Union to the Council of Europe

EU backs North-South Centre with €1.3 million contract

26/07/2016 - 09:16
News stories

EU funds 75% of innovative 'iLegend' project.

North-South Centre, Jari Vilen, Council of Europe, DG DEVCO, European Union, EU, NSC, iLEGEND, Jose Mendes Bota

This Monday 25 July, EU Ambassador to the Council of Europe in Strasbourg Jari Vilen presented the Council of Europe with a life-saving €1.3 Million contract for a programme of the Lisbon-based North-South Centre. This innovative new project will reinforce essential development education initiatives in EU Member States and beyond, helping to link the EU's own best practices in this field to those in the none-EU members of the North-South Centre, whose wide membership includes countries as diverse as the Vatican, Azerbaijan and Morocco.

Once again demonstrating its dedication to global development, the EU is financing 75% of the project with the remaining 25% being financed by the Council of Europe itself. This funding cements the EU's role as the main contributor for the ongoing activity of the North South Centre (NSC).

By funding 75% of the overall budget of the project, 'iLEGEND' (Intercultural Learning Exchange through Global Education, Networking and Dialogue), the European Union has not only co-launched a 3 year project to promote global development education in Europe and beyond, but has assured the ongoing financing of the essential work of the North South Centre, a cornerstone in Europe's relations with its Southern neighbourhood.

The North South Centre (NSC) of the Council of Europe, implementing this project, has over 20 years of in-depth experience in the field of global development education, notably running two other EU funded projects in this domain since 2009. Based in Lisbon since its foundation in May 1990, the North–South Centre aims to give the South a voice within the Council of Europe. It aims to foster dialogue between Europe and its neighbouring regions, notably on the subjects of youth, women's rights and education.

This project is financed by DG DEVCO at the European Commission as part of their DEAR (Development Education and Awareness Raising) programme, which aims to anchor awareness and understanding of global development in our societies. It highlights the universal responsibilities of all individuals, Civil Society Organisations (CSOs), Local Authorities (LAs), governments and other development actors, to contribute to sustainable and inclusive development.


More information:


EU Delegation to the Council of Europe:

Tác giả