1287th Meeting of the Committee of Ministers (29 May 2017)
EUDEL Statement on Ukraine's decision to block a number of Russia-based online services, including social media platforms in Ukraine
- On 28 April the National Security and Defence Council of Ukraine made a decision to block a number of Russia-based online services, including popular social media platforms in the framework of the restrictive measures adopted by Ukraine. This decision was put into effect by Presidential decree on 15 May.
- The EU is aware of the public statements delivered by the Ukrainian authorities specifying that the decision was based on national security concerns. The EU is also aware that over the past months Ukraine has been the target of numerous disinformation campaigns and cyber-attacks.
- The EU recognises that the protection of national security is the prerogative of the Ukrainian government.
- However, the EU expects Ukraine to ensure that restrictive measures taken on the grounds of national security do not have a negative impact on the fundamental right to freedom of expression.
- The EU looks forward to further explanations by the Ukrainian authorities on the decision, including those relating to the temporary nature of these measures.