Contract Agent FG IV – Job n° 320569
The European External Action Service (EEAS) supports the work of the High Representative in defining and implementing an effective and coherent EU foreign policy. The EEAS supports her tasks of conducting the EU's Common Foreign and Security Policy and chairing the Foreign Affairs Council. It also supports the High Representative in her capacity as Vice President of the Commission with regard to her responsibilities within the Commission in the external relations field including the coordination of other aspects of the EU's external action. The EEAS works in close cooperation with Member States, the Council and relevant services of the European Commission. The Division "AMERICAS.2 - Mexico, Central America and Caribbean" is responsible for strengthening relations between the EU and Mexico, Central America and the Caribbean. In particular, the task of the Division is to develop closer political, economic and social relations between the EU and Mexico, Central America and the Caribbean, ensuring fulfilment of the EEAS role in CFSP and in development cooperation under the Treaty of Cotonou/EDF for the Caribbean, DCI for Mexico & Central America, the Partnership Instrument and other regional and thematic programmes.
The position of Policy Officer - Co-Desk Officer, who will be responsible for advancing the relations of the EU with Cuba as well as providing support to the desk officers dealing with Central American countries and Central American regional institutions. We are seeking a highly motivated colleague who, in close cooperation with the respective country and regional Desks, under the authority of the Head of Division, has the following functions and duties:
- Research, analyse, follow-up and give updates on the political, social and economic and human rights situation.
- Provide relevant up-to date information for country fiches, reports and website.
- Elaborate and contribute towards the definition of EU policies concerning political, economic, human rights, humanitarian or other relations in co-ordination with Member States, international organisations and other donors.
- Implementation of the agreements with Cuba and Central America respectively
- Contribute to the organisation, preparation and holding of Human Rights Dialogues and other sectoral policy dialogues.
- Co-ordinate, finalise and revise as required Strategy Papers and Multi-Annual Indicative Programmes for the country in co-operation with EU Delegations and other Commission services.
- Contribute to and monitor progress in strategies and implementation of NIP and ensure their follow-up on the basis of input by the Delegations, DEVCO and other Commission services.
- Provide briefing dossiers, speeches, statements, press releases and articles concerning the country, on request.
- Elaborate strategies and contribute to the EU-Cuba Joint Council, Joint Committee and and other meetings under the PDCA
Programme and project management
- Co-operate in preparing programmes and follow their preparation and implementation by the Delegations and other Commission services, ensuring conformity with the Strategy/MIP
- Conduct field visits to assess the pertinence of strategy, political and sectoral performance of partners and need for further intervention.
Representation and Negotiation
- Take contact with decision-makers in Member States and with other major players in relation to political and co-operation matters.
- Participate in dialogues with and relate with the authorities and representations of the third countries concerned .
- Establish close relations with civil society organisations in the Third countries concerned and in the EU, particularly with such working in the area of governance and human rights.
Internal co-ordination and consultation; inter-institutional relations
- Carry out and respond to Inter-Service Consultations.
- Organise country team meetings.
- General co-ordination of relations with Delegations.
- Monitor all Community policies having impact on Cuba and Central America in order to ensure coherence (human rights, trade, fisheries, etc.).
- Organise and maintain relations, co-ordination and contacts with the other EU institutions.
Candidates for this contract agent IV post should:
(i) have passed a valid EPSO CAST in FG IV ; or -
(ii) be registered in the EPSO Permanent CAST in FG IV https://epso.europa.eu/apply/job-offers_en?keyword=&contract=37&grade=Al...
- have completed university studies of at least three years attested by a diploma;
- have the capacity to work in languages of CFSP and external relations necessary for the performance of their duties. Knowledge of other EU languages would be an asset.
- Be a national of one of the Member States of the European Union and enjoy full rights as a citizen
- have ability to maintain diplomatic relations and to ensure representation and communication in a complex, multicultural environment;
- have capacity to create constructive working relations in the field of external relations with national authorities, international organisations, civil society and EU Member States;
- have strong drafting and analytical skills combined with sound judgement;
- have knowledge of external relations, internal policies and functioning of the Union;
- have excellent communication skills and the ability to establish and maintain a network of contacts both within and outside the EEAS;
- have the ability to communicate clearly on complex issues and the capacity to perform with accuracy and in a flexible manner a diversity of tasks in a complex institutional environment;
- have strong service attitude;
- be fluent in English, French, and Spanish (both orally and in writing);
- have geographical knowledge and/or experience of Central America and Cuba;
- be a flexible team player.
- experience of working in a team in multi-disciplinary and multi-cultural environment;
- experience in working with or within other EU institutions, would be considered as strong assets.
PLACE OF EMPLOYMENT Brussels, Belgium
SPECIFIC CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
The successful candidates will be required to undergo security vetting if they do not already hold security clearance to an appropriate level (EU SECRET), in accordance with the relevant security provisions.
Contract agent position (Function group IV); renewable contract for a maximum duration of 6 years (with a valid CAST exam).
APPLICATION AND SELECTION PROCEDURE
Deadline for sending application. Please send your cv and cover letter (with your EPSO CAST number) to AMERICASemail@example.com by 28/07/2019.
The selection panel will make a pre-selection on the basis of the qualifications and professional experience described in the CV and motivational letter, and will produce a shortlist of eligible candidates who best meet the selection criteria for the post.
The candidates who have been preselected will be invited for an interview by a selection panel. The panel will recommend a shortlist of candidates for a final decision by the Authority Empowered to Conclude Contracts of Employment. The Authority may decide to interview the candidates on the final shortlist before taking this decision.
Interviews will be scheduled in August 2019.
Post available as of October 2019 in EEAS Headquarters