The European Union (EU) is an economic and political partnership between 28 European countries. It plays an important role in international affairs through diplomacy, trade, development aid and working with global organisations. Abroad, the EU is represented through more than 140 diplomatic representations, known also as EU Delegations, which have a similar function to those of an embassy.
The EU Delegation to the Kingdom of Eswatini is placed under the responsibility of the High Representative / Vice President of the Commission with the duty to assist her in carrying out her mission of representing the Union and enforcing its external policy. The Delegation's other core task is to implement the Cotonou Partnership Agreement linking the EU Member States to the African Caribbean and Pacific Countries including the Kingdom of Eswatini. The central objective of this partnership is to reduce and ultimately eradicate poverty through sustainable development, the progressive integration into the world economy and the promotion of the rule of law, democracy and human rights. The Delegation is also working to increase the awareness among the SiSwati public of the EU and its involvement in Eswatini, building on and further upscaling the previous visibility actions.
We look for
- As a minimum, the candidate must have completed university studies corresponding to a four years’ duration attested preferably by a Masters' Degree in a relevant thematic area like Development Studies, Environment, Rural/Sustainable Development, Agriculture and/or another related field. Further formal education and/or research in these areas will be considered an advantage.
- As a minimum, the candidate has to demonstrate at least five years of professional experience in the implementation of development projects management. More extensive experience will be an advantage.
- Evidence of specific experience in the following areas: Resilience, Disaster Risk Management, Climate change adaptation and mitigation, Gender, Food Security, CSOs, Humanitarian Aid, Social Protection, Green/Circular Economy topics, international experience in development cooperation will be considered an advantage.
- Sound understanding of Project Cycle Management is a requirement. Knowledge of EU cooperation policies and the related regulatory framework will be an advantage. Previous experience within an international donor agency is an advantage. Demonstrated knowledge of development cooperation issues in other SADC countries would be an advantage.
- Excellent analytical and writing skills are a requirement. Demonstrated good computer skills including the use of MS Word, MS Excel, MS PPT is a requirement. Demonstrated ability of using other management software (financial management, accounting, team management), or of using social media communication in a corporate context will be an advantage. Willingness to learn EU corporate IT tools will also be considered an advantage.
- Excellent command of the English language; both oral and written is necessary. The candidate should give assurance of his capacity to interact with the national authorities, international and bilateral donors, and civil society. We look for a candidate with a capacity to communicate clearly, presenting complex matters in an understandable manner, both orally and in written form. The candidate should deal helpfully and courteously with people and to build productive and cooperative working relationships.
- The candidate should be motivated to advance the policy objectives of the EU-Eswatini cooperation and to deliver the best possible benefits to Swazi people. The candidate should be able to work alone and as a team-player in a multi-cultural team with a service orientated attitude, to focus on priorities and to respect deadlines, programme management guidelines and regulations. The candidate should be committed to assure quality, speed and attention to details in performing duties. The candidate should be ready to adapt to a changing context, new colleagues and counterparts, or evolving guidelines.
How to apply
Each candidate must provide the following;
- Letter of motivation in English (max 500 words).
- A short note (max 500 words) outlining a potential proposal for EU cooperation to promote investment, trade, or sustainable and inclusive growth in Eswatini.
- Curriculum vitae in English preferably using the standard form given with this notice.
- Scans of diplomas or other documents showing qualifications as set out in the curriculum vitae.
- A minimum of three references (names, positions and telephone/fax /e mail addresses), one or all of whom may be contacted by the Delegation.
The successful candidates will be asked to provide documents showing previous professional experience as set out in the curriculum vitae.
To apply, please e-mail your application package to the following mail address indicating in the subject line the reference: "Post No COM 103805 – Local agent - Project officer''
Deadline for application is 09 November 2020, 5pm local time (GMT +2).
The selection procedure will be based on the following:
- Examination of the documents received.
- The Selection Committee will establish a short-list.
- The short listed candidates will either be invited directly for an interview or to a written test followed by interview.
- Where no suitable candidate has been identified following the interviews, the position will be re-published.
Please be informed that only short-listed candidates will be informed of the result of the selection process.
The vacancy will be filled as soon as possible following the completion of recruitment procedures. The EU Delegation is aiming at recruiting a successful candidate with a starting date of work of: 1 January 2021.
The successful candidate will be requested to submit a medical report proving "fit to work".
The Delegation will not supply additional information or discuss the selection procedure by telephone: please address any queries concerning this procedure to
DELEGATION-ESWATINI-JOBAPPLICATION@eeas.europa.eu before 04 November 2020, 5pm local time (GMT +2).
The Delegation of the European Union promotes actively a non-discrimination and equal opportunities policy on recruitments.
Further information could found on the Delegation website