The European Union Delegation to Turkmenistan is looking for Press and Information Officer
The European Union (EU) is an economic and political partnership between 27 European countries. It plays an important role in international affairs through diplomacy, trade, development aid and working with global organisations. Abroad, the EU is represented through more than 140 diplomatic representations, known also as EU Delegations, which have a similar function to those of an embassy.
The EU Delegation to Turkmenistan
-ensures the representation of the European Union to Turkmenistan;
-ensures the follow-up of bilateral relations in the areas of political, economic, trade and external assistance cooperation (financial and technical);
-ensures the follow-up of EU policies in all sectors;
-promotes and defends the values and interests of the EU;
-contributes to coordination with Member States’ Embassies, particularly in the fields of EU competences, notably trade and external assistance;
-carries out the CFSP demarches and coordinates with the Member States when appropriate;
-reports back to Headquarters on all matters of interest for EU policies;
-carries out press and public diplomacy activities in pursuit of the above;
-assists with the implementation of the multi-annual programming of aid and the management of programmes and devolved projects within the framework of the external aid instruments of the EU Budget.
We offer a post of Press and Information Officer. Under this post, the recruited person will be attributed functions depending on the needs of the Delegation. Upon recruitment, the successful candidate will occupy a specific job function as Press and Information Officer – this job function may be changed in accordance with the needs of the Delegation. Under this job function the successful candidate will serve as technical and support staff under the supervision and responsibility of the Head of Delegation with the following main tasks:
Tasks and responsibilities:
• Help to establish and maintain a close working relationship with local media and P&I officers of other diplomatic missions in order to promote visibility for the EU policies, EU-funded programmes, projects and other activities;
• Ensure daily monitoring and analysis of local media reporting on political, economic and social issues and produce press reviews;
• Advise the Head of Delegation and Heads of Sections on relevant media and visibility issues;
• Prepare, edit and disseminate documents (such as the translation, summary and analysis of press articles, press releases, special publications, brochures, etc.), in close cooperation with the thematically concerned sections/colleagues;
• Contribute to the edition and regular updating of the Delegation’s website content, as well as social media (e.g. Facebook, Twitter);
• Preparation of press conferences, interviews and other public relations events in order to strengthen the EU’s visibility;
• Contribute to the definition of the overall communication strategy and action planning, in order to improve the visibility of EU activities in the host country;
• Contribute to the preparation of the Annual Management Plan;
• Respond to requests from the public and press enquiries, prepare briefing dossiers, organise press coverage for the Delegation's activities;
• Monitoring and controlling the information & communication performance, bringing significant problems to the attention of the Head of Delegation;
• Ensure efficient coordination with Member States’ embassies on media-related issues and cultural activities, including on organisation of joint media related issues, cultural activities such as the annual European Film Festival, concerts and other joint visibility activities;
• Prepare annual information & communication budget and report on budget utilisation;
• Work closely with relevant services in the HQs;
• Manage Delegation's information and promotional material;
• Liaise with the other EU Delegations in the region and provide support for regional communications activities;
• Help to establish and maintain a close working relationship with local universities.
• Any other task as requested by the Head of the EU Delegation according to the needs of the service.
Working hours: full time
Working environment/conditions: multicultural environment
Place of employment: Ashgabat
Group: FG I
Starting basic salary: In line with the Delegation basic pay scale, updated at least annually, currently set at EUR 1 986 and paid in EUR.
We offer a competitive position in an international environment. Benefits, such as additional pension scheme and medical insurance, are offered to employees and their families under certain conditions.
The following will be considered an asset:
How to apply
Please send your application and supporting documents to Delegation-Turkmenistan-HOA@eeas.europa.eu. The package should include a cover letter (max 1 page) and a detailed CV based on a template available at https://europass.cedefop.europa.eu/editors/en/cv/compose. Non-compliant applications will not be considered.
The Delegation will not supply additional information or discuss the selection procedure by telephone: please address any queries concerning this procedure to Delegation-Turkmenistan-HOA@eeas.europa.eu.
After the deadline for applications, the applications will be reviewed by a Selection Committee set up for this purpose. The Selection Committee will prepare a short-list of candidates whose profiles comply with the minimum selection criteria and who are considered to be the most suitable for the post on the basis of a preliminary assessment of the information provided in their application letter and the supporting documents. The short-listed candidates will be invited to an assessment phase which will include a written test and/or an interview – during this phase, the Selection Committee will assess the suitability of the candidates for the post.
The candidates who have not been short-listed will not be contacted individually; however, the Delegation will use the same means of publication as for this Vacancy Notice to inform the remaining candidates once the recruitment procedure has been completed and that a candidate has (or has not) been recruited.
Please note that for this specific post, depending on circumstances, an employment contract with the successful candidate may not be signed before the Delegation will move to the new office premises, planned before the end of 2020.
The deadline for applications is: 30 June 2020, EOB.
Please find the EEAS Privacy Statement for the Purpose of the Processing Operation Recruitment of Local Agents in EU Delegations on https://eeas.europa.eu/sites/eeas/files/7_eeas_privacy_statement_-_data_protection_notice_-_recruitment_local_agents_eu_delegations.pdf .