The European Union (EU) is an economic and political partnership between 28 European countries. It plays an important role in international affairs through diplomacy, trade, development aid and working with global organisations. Abroad, the EU is represented through more than 140 diplomatic representations, known also as EU Delegations, which have a similar function to those of an embassy.
The EU Delegation to China and Mongolia is responsible for the conduct of official relations between China and the European Union. In all matters pertaining to the European Union, the Delegation works closely with the diplomatic missions of the EU Member States, particularly the one representing the EU Presidency, which changes every six months.
We offer a Temporary post of an Assistant to the European Anti-Fraud Office Liaison Officer, up to 8/3/2018. Under this post, the recruited person will be attributed functions depending on the needs of the Delegation. Upon recruitment, the successful candidate will occupy a specific job function as a Temporary Assistant to the European Anti-Fraud Office Liaison Officer – this job function may be changed in accordance with the needs of the Delegation. Under this job function the successful candidate will serve as support staff to:
+ OPERATIONAL and ADMINISTRATIVE SUPPORT and RESOURCES - Administrative assistance
- Draft meeting reports; draft letters, notes
- Office management, gathering information and making appropriate research in the field of
- Customs, cigarette, IPR and anti-fraud related issues in China
- In the absence of the OLAF Liaison Officer, to facilitate any urgent tasks given by OLAF with minimal or no supervision.
+ MISSIONS, MEETINGS and VISITS (incl Protocol Service) – Organisation of meetings, missions and activities
- Support the work of OLAF's Liaison Officer in organising meetings
- Supervise the agenda of the liaison officer
- Organise, prepare and participate in meetings
- Organise missions for OLAF
+ INTERNAL COMMUNICATION (general) - Administrative assistance to information
- Interact with the Chinese administration, Embassies and Commission Headquarters
- Organise the circulation of information
- Gather information and make appropriate research in the field of Customs, cigarettes, IPR and anti-fraud related issues in China
+ TRANSLATION - Translation - Interpretation
- Translate documents to the mother tongue or the main language, revise translations and
- Translate documents to and from English.
- Interpretation English / Chinese
under the supervision and responsibility of the European Anti-Fraud Office Liaison Officer.
Place of employment is located in China, Beijing. The weekly working hours are 37.5h. Gross salary of a Temporary LA II is 18060 CNY. We offer a competitive position in an international environment.
We look for
Education, knowledge and skills
- Certified post-secondary level. Higher education is an advantage (University degree in a relevant speciality such as International Relations, Law and Economics)
- Communication skills; capacity to communicate clearly and concisely
- Computer skills; EXCEL, WORDS, PPT, and possible experience in databases
- Interpersonal skills
- Ability to listen and understand, to consult and to share information and ideas and to report
- Team player
- Ability to work in a multi-cultural environment
- Intellectual skills
- Strong analytical skills
- Ability to prioritise
- Sense of initiative as regards the day-to-day work
- Management/Organizational skills
- Capacity to focus on priorities and to organize work to deliver on time
- Good organisational skills and attention to detail
- High degree of responsibility and discretion
- Flexibility to work under pressure and to respond quickly to new demands
- Strong sense of confidentiality and diplomacy
- Proven problem-solving abilities
- Chinese (mandarin) mother tongue, fluent written and spoken English
- Other EU languages would be an advantage
Minimum working experience
- At least 3 years of relevant professional experience
- Recent knowledge and experience of working with China Customs would be an advantage Experience in working with IPR and other authorities in China would be an advantage
- Dedication and hard working with a good team spirit;
- A letter of recommendation from a previous workplace or university
Minimum physical requirements
- Pass the required pre-recruitment medical exam
How to apply
Please send your application and supporting documents to Delegation-China-HR@eeas.europa.eu in the subject line mentioning reference Temporary Assistant to the OLAF Liaison Officer. The application email should include a cover letter in and a detailed CV in English.
The deadline for reception of the applications is set for 20 hrs (GMT +8) on 20 September 2017.
The Delegation will not supply additional information or discuss the selection procedure by telephone –please address any queries concerning this procedure to the above mentioned mailbox with a reference: Question – Assistant to the OLAF Liaison Officer.