The European Union currently has 140 delegations, which are placed under the authority of the High Representative of the Union for Foreign Affairs and Security Policy, who is also a Vice President of the European Commission.
The European External Action Service (EEAS) is seeking a highly motivated contract agent FG IV to occupy the post of Regional Media - Press and Information Officer – based in Beirut, Lebanon. The selected candidate will be expected to frequently travel to other countries of the region and to Brussels for his job related assignments.
Under the responsibility of the Head of Delegation, the Regional Media - Press and Information Officer will be required to:
- Undertake media outreach activities in the MENA (Middle East and North Africa*) region
- Respond, on the record and on background, to Arabic-speaking media requests related to regional issues and in Arabic across the MENA region
- Contribute to developing narratives based on the EU policies in the MENA region
- Establish and manage Arabic social media accounts on behalf of the EU (EU in the region) and develop digital content
- Manage a small budget, which should be contracted for media related events and campaigns
- Strategic engagement with the EU Delegations in the region: provide support on media outreach, ensure information flows between the EU Delegations and headquarters on strategic communications and overall coordination of media relations
- Coordinate with relevant EU institutions and services working on the region, including EEAS' StratCom Task Force South, EEAS' MENA department and the Commission's Spokesperson's Office
- Support wider functions of the EEAS Strategic Communications Division
In order to be eligible for the post of contract agent FG IV candidates must:
Candidates must meet the minimum qualifications for engagement as contract agent FG IV:
- (i) Have a level of education which corresponds to completed university studies of at least three years attested by a diploma, or
- (ii) In exceptional circumstances and where justified in the interest of the service, professional training of an equivalent level (related to the nature of the tasks and qualifications indicated in the Job Description).
- Be a national of one of the Member States of the European Union and enjoy full rights as a citizen.
Knowledge and Experience
Candidates should be able to demonstrate good knowledge and experience in the following areas:
- Extensive media and(or) journalistic work experience and network, preferably in the MENA region.
- Current political and economic context, society and culture in the MENA region and the EU's policies and positions towards these countries.
- Knowledge of EU institutions, EU external action and EU development and neighbourhood policies.
- Communications and public diplomacy practice (e.g. strategic communication, media relations, campaigning, content production, marketing, social media management and content development).
- Developing communications campaigns and communication / media outreach strategies marketing, social media management and digital content development).
- Minimum professional experience of at least three years in the relevant field.
Skills and competences
- Linguistic skills: Arabic, English and/or French are required.
- Communications skills: Strong public speaking skills; ability to write and produce digital content. Creativity. Capacity to work and communicate under time pressure in a multilingual international diplomatic environment.
- Intellectual skills: Solid analytical capability; ability to grasp complex situations quickly and capacity to identify issues and solutions. Good reporting and drafting skills.
- Interpersonal skills: Team-player and ability to coordinate with other teams and multiple stakeholders, even remotely. Adaptable, with a "hands-on approach" and willingness to work in a fast-paced and collaborative environment.
- Social media skills: Knowledge of social media channels is essential. Experience with social media campaigns, monitoring and analytics would be an asset. Knowledge of the social media scene in the MENA region.
- Project management: Knowledge and experience of working with contractors/service-providers, developing terms of reference, managing small budget for press and communication projects, following up on deliverables.
- Computer skills: Microsoft Office software (Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint) required. Good knowledge of the Adobe Creative Suite (Photoshop, Premiere, Illustrator) an asset.
- Have the capacity to work in English and/or French, with professional knowledge of Arabic is indispensable. Knowledge of other EU languages would be an asset.
- Applicants must be able to work in a different socio-cultural environment and to adapt quickly to evolving situations.
- As a matter of policy, applications of individuals who have the dual nationality of the host country or the partner of whom has the nationality of the host country will be considered on a case-by-case basis. The EEAS examines if there could be a conflict of interest and the consequence of a possible refusal by the host country to grant diplomatic immunity to the staff member and or his/her partner and family, as well as possible security risks. The HR Department may ask for additional information from the applicant in this context.
- Candidates are deemed to be fully aware of the local living conditions, including information concerning the accommodation, before applying. Individual post reports are available from EEAS.BA.HR.3, Rights and Obligations (RIGHTS-AND-OBLIGATIONS@eeas.europa.eu).
- Candidates should ensure that they are also fully aware of the provisions of Annex X of the Staff Regulations.
Applications (CV and motivation letters) are to be sent to
In your application, please mention your EPSO candidate number.
The closing date for the submission of applications is 30/09/2019 at 18.00 (CET). Late applications will not be accepted.
The selection panel will make a pre-selection on the basis of the qualifications and professional experience described in the CV and motivational letter, and will produce a shortlist of eligible candidates who best meet the selection criteria for the post.
The preselected candidates will be invited for an interview by a selection panel. The panel will recommend a shortlist of candidates for a final decision by the Authority Empowered to Conclude Contracts of Employment.
SPECIFIC CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT:
The successful candidate will be required to undergo security vetting if (s) he does not already hold security clearance to an appropriate level (EU SECRET), in accordance with the relevant security provisions.
GENERAL CONDITIONS FOR CONTRACT AGENT POSTS https://eeas.europa.eu/headquarters/headquarters-homepage/185/general-conditions-contract-agent-positions-eeas-headquarters-brussels-and-delegations_en
Contract agent 3A position (Function group IV). Contract for a period of 3 years, renewable up to a maximum of 6 years.
Successful candidates must undergo a medical examination to ensure that they are physically fit to perform their duties. When selected candidates undergo their pre rotation medical visit, they should indicate any serious health problems or requirements for specialised medical treatment for themselves and/or for the individuals who will accompany them. If staff members withhold such information they will not benefit from a reimbursement by the institution of certain costs, e.g. expenses relating to medical evacuation, or to a return to Headquarters in the case of early rotation.
Job available from: 01/09/2019
LCA (living conditions allowances): 20%
* There are 15 EU Delegations in the region.