The European Union (EU) is an economic and political partnership between 28 European countries. It plays an important role in international affairs through diplomacy, trade, development aid and working with global organisations. Abroad, the EU is represented through more than 140 diplomatic representations, known also as EU Delegations, which have a similar function to those of an embassy.
The EU Delegation in Brasilia represents the European Union in the Federal Republic of Brazil, working in close coordination with the Embassies of the EU Member States. The Delegation ensures bilateral relations in the political, economic, trade, scientific, technological and cooperation areas within the framework of the Strategic Partnership with Brazil.
The Delegation's main tasks include:
- to promote and defend the values and interests of the EU;
- to give visibility and promote awareness of the EU in Brazil;
- to ensure the promotion and follow-up of EU priorities and policies in areas of mutual interest;
- to carry out the tasks of the local EU Presidency;
- to support other EU Delegations in the region, in particular in the areas of cooperation and IT services.
We offer a post of Secretary. Upon recruitment, the successful candidate will occupy a specific job function as Secretary for the Cooperation Sector – this job function may be changed in accordance with the needs of the Delegation. Under this job function the successful candidate will provide assistance to the Head of Section and the team, carrying out secretarial, operation, protocol and logistical tasks.
Specific tasks include the following:
- To provide administrative and secretarial support to the Cooperation Team within the Delegation.
- Preparing correspondence in Portuguese, English and Spanish for the internal administration, HQ and local partners (dispatch of all outgoing mail in the section); support with text translation;
- Provide secretarial support on the correct organization and implementation of financial and operational or procedural circuits for the approval of documents/transactions;
- Supervise and ensure incoming mail is attributed and followed-up and deadlines are respected;
- Responsibility for the general organization of section’s files (paper and electronic) and for the archives of the section; to assure support to the section for the preparation of call for tenders and follow up of the implementation of projects;
- Prepare replies to requests for information from the hierarchy and other services within the delegation;
- Provide support related to the organization of workshops, conferences, congresses and seminars;
- Organizing missions for the section's staff, ticket booking, registration and justification of the mission in dedicated database; providing support for the organization of missions from HQs or experts' missions;
- Organizing and timetabling meetings for the Cooperation staff in the section, preparing files for such meetings, and keeping the planning and agenda of the section. Organization of meetings with internal / external stakeholders;
- Secretarial assistance in general, such as preparing documents in Word and Excel, uploading and keeping up to date documents in the IT registration systems, research on the Commission’s intranet and on the internet;
- Provide administrative support to the section in the organization of trainings;
- All other secretarial tasks as instructed by the Head of Section.
The working environment and conditions are as follows:
- Place of employment: Brasilia
- Group and starting basic salary: Group 3 – Minimum basic salary 6.815 BRL
- Working hours: Monday to Thursday: from 08h30 to 12h30 and from 13h30 to 17h30 and Friday 08h30 to 14h00 – Total 37.5 hours per week – Possibility of flexible working time arrangements.
- We offer a competitive position in an international environment. Benefits, such as additional pension scheme and medical insurance, are offered to employees and their families under certain conditions.
We look for
- Education, knowledge and skills: Secondary education; secretarial and organisational skills; proficient IT skills (Microsoft Office, including Excel and Powerpoint; social media skills are an asset).
- Languages: Portuguese (C2) and English (C1) / Spanish (C1/ C2)
- Asset: French.
- Minimum working experience: 5 years in performing tasks required or similar, experience in International Relations will be an asset.
- Expected performance: reliability and high standards of excellence; flexibility and readiness to work in close cooperation with the team; availability to assume back-up role when needed; openness to acquiring new skills and learning EU working procedures; discretion in handling sensitive information; resilience.
- Analytical skills: ability to conceptualize problems, identify and implement solutions, capacity to structure information, ease at calculation and numerical analysis.
- Character references: motivation, sense of initiative and responsibility, good presentation skills, strong team spirit, self-reliance, excellent organisational skills, respecting deadlines, ability to deal with stressful situations.
- Minimum physical requirements: long term sitting and work in front of screen.
How to apply
Please send your application and supporting documents to
The package should include a cover letter and a detailed CV in English.
The selection procedure will be implemented in three steps:
- evaluation of written applications,
- invitation for written tests for shortlisted candidates,
- interview with successful candidates.
The Delegation will not supply additional information or discuss the selection procedure by telephone: please address any queries concerning this procedure to
The definite hiring of the post is subject to confirmation from HQ in Brussels.
Deadline for applications: 02/04/2019.
Acting Head of Delegation