General background: relations between Algeria and the EU have strengthened since an Association Agreement came into effect as part of the Euro-Mediterranean Partnership (2005).
In the political area, the Agreement covers dialogue on all issues of interest to the parties. This dialogue occurs at different levels:
- Association Council (ministerial);
- Association Committee (high-level civil servants);
- ‘Political dialogue, security and human rights’ Sub-Committee (technical).
Other technical sub-committees set up under the Agreement address other areas such as migration, internal affairs, justice, social affairs, etc.
Since 2013, Algeria has also been involved in the European Neighbourhood Policy (ENP). It is under this framework that the partnership priorities between Algeria and the EU have been jointly established for the 2016-2020 period.
Priority policy themes:
- governance, rule of law and fundamental rights, including strengthening the judicial system and promoting the role of civil society;
- strategic and security dialogue aimed at promoting regional stability and security, regional cooperation and integration, and cooperation in the fight against terrorism and radicalisation;
- migration and mobility, with dialogue covering all issues connected with this (legal mobility and migration, fight against illegal migration, including readmission, the migration/development link, international protection/right of asylum);
- public and cultural diplomacy, notably through jointly organised events.