CONSOLIDATION OF THE JUSTICE SYSTEM IN ALBANIA (EURALIUS V)
For one International Long Term Anti-Corruption And Organized Crimes Expert (part time position)
The German Foundation for International Legal Cooperation (IRZ) is recruiting the below listed international expert for the EU-funded project “Consolidation of the Justice System in Albania (EURALIUS V)”.
The overall objective of EURALIUS V is to strengthen the independence, transparency, efficiency, accountability and public trust in the Albanian justice system in line with the EU acquis and best practices. The project mainly works towards enhancing the capacities of the following Albanian Authorities, which are final beneficiaries of the project: the Albanian Parliament, Ministry of Justice, High Judicial Council, High Court, courts, High Prosecutorial Council, the General Prosecutor Office, other prosecution offices, High Justice Inspector, School of Magistrates, National Chamber of Advocacy, the National Chamber of Notaries and the National Chamber of Enforcement Agents. Following the adoption of constitutional amendments in July 2016 and the adoption of several laws EURALIUS V is expected to support the implementation of the comprehensive justice reform. The project started on 1 April 2018 with a duration of 36 months.
The assignment is supposed to start in January 2018 and will engage the expert on an average between 1 week to up to 2 weeks per month. The extent of the input will depend on the needs of the Special Anti-Corruption and Organized Crimes Structures (SPAK), which are in process of being established and on the needs in the different phases of the establishment of the SPAK.
- Applications (CV, motivation letter, in English) have to be sent in electronic version to the following email addresses/contact persons:
NOTE: The applications must be sent to all 3 e-mail addresses below:
- Anastasia Schmieder: Schmieder@irz.de
- Laura Ruzman: Ruzman@irz.de
- Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted and might be requested to come in for interviews and/or other methods of assessment. The selection will be based on the professional background, relevant work experience, publications, language skills and other criteria according to the requested qualifications.
- The assignments will have to be formally approved by the European Union Delegation to Albania, assuming no objection from the relevant beneficiaries.
Deadline for applications: 6 January 2019 / midnight.
Duration of engagement: 1 year, with possibility of extension
TASKS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
The International Anti-Corruption and Organised Crime Expert will support the project activities aiming at strengthening the institution and capacity building at the Anti-Corruption and Organized Crimes Courts (first and second instance) as well as the Special Prosecution Office, by inter alia setting up their internal structures and establish standards and practices.
The expert will support any activity in any area of intervention fitting to his/her profile, as needed.
The main activities of the international experts will be to:
- Interact with beneficiary institutions;
- Identify needs and sensitive measure, in order to achieve the required results for strengthening the institution and the capacity of the staff;
- Carry out (comparative) legal research, provide legal analysis, notes, resumes or other legal documents as well as high level legal and contextual counselling; demonstrating excellent judgement and a high degree of independent thinking;
- Assists in legislative drafting activities;
- Pro-actively produce reports and analysis of developments, events and actions regarding the implementation of the project activity in the respective component;
- Coordinates activities of short- and mid term experts;
- Assist in fulfilment of overall reporting obligations of the project;
- Participate in meetings and any other events which are of importance for the implementation of the project activity and reports accordingly;
- Perform any other related activities, which may emerge during the course of time and/ or as required by the Team Leader, or other team members.
- At least University degree in law at master level;
- Minimum of 13 years of relevant post graduate work experience, in the justice system, at least 5 in an EU Member State
- Minimum of 5 years experience in a court, prosecution office or other structure specialized in the fight against corruption and organized crime, experience in a leading position in such a structure would be a distinct advantage;
- Experience in or with an EU justice project environment or in international institution would be an asset;
- Proven academic track record, including involvement in researches and studies is an asset;
- Sound legal and analytical skills;
- Knowledge of and familiarity with the Albanian justice system, justice reform process and the content of the justice reform is an asset;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in English.
- Ability to communicate solutions to problems in different legal environments, and provide advice on day-to-day questions to the final beneficiaries;
- Flexibility and maturity of judgement;
- Ability to work under direction and also to use own initiative;
- Ability to communicate effectively at a number of different levels and methods;
- Ability to work under pressure and to maintain deadlines;
- Political neutrality;
- Team and solution orientation;
- Suitable profile to work within a multidisciplinary team;
- Ability to understand and respect all confidential classifications (both government and trade nature) of any government or trade documents, statements or other information he/ she may be given during the exercise of his/ her duties.