The European Union Delegation to the African Union is looking for:
The European Union (EU) is an economic and political partnership between 27 European countries. It plays an important role in international affairs through diplomacy, trade, development aid and working with global organisations. Abroad, the EU is represented through more than 140 diplomatic representations, known also as EU Delegations, which have a similar function to those of an embassy. The EU Delegation to the African Union is located in Addis Ababa, Ethiopia and employs 50 staff members. It comprises the Head of Delegation's office, Political, Press and Information Section, Cooperation Section, Finance, Contracts and Audit Section and Administration section. The establishment of the Delegation in January 2008 was an important political statement by the EU: the recognition that the African Union and its Commission has become a strategic partner in EU relations with Africa.
We offer a post in an international environment in the Research & Innovation (R&I) area of the Cooperation Section with the Delegation of the European Union to the African Union.
Upon recruitment, the successful candidate will occupy a specific job function as Policy Assistant grade 2 - this job function may be changed in accordance with the needs of the Delegation.
Under this job function, the successful candidate will serve as technical and support staff for the promotion of Research & Innovation cooperation between the European and African Union and African Member States Union and will be primarily responsible for the tasks allocated to her/him under the supervision and responsibility of the Science Counsellor.
We offer a permanent contract in Function Group 2, in a dynamic and multi-cultural environment. Place of employment is Addis Ababa, Ethiopia at the Delegation of the European Union to the African Union premises. Normal working hours are 37.5 a week.
Starting basis gross salary is EUR 1,913.00 (paid in ETB). Final salary step will depend on number of years of relevant professional experience. Benefits, such as transportation allowance, additional pension scheme and medical insurance, are offered to employees and their families under certain conditions.
Responsibilities and duties:
The Policy Assistant will work under the direct supervision of the Science Counsellor.
The duties of the candidate will include, but will not be limited to the following:
• The science, technology and innovation policy assistant will be primarily responsible for the tasks allocated to her/him and will manage all activities under the supervisor of Science Counsellor. Tasks will include:
• Promotion of research & innovation cooperation between the European Union and African Union, and more specifically the promotion of African participation in the EU’s framework programmes (end of ‘Horizon 2020’) and preparing transition to new programme ‘Horizon Europe’;
• Participating in various conferences and workshops on research and innovation or where role of research and innovation is important, and in which the EU Delegation is invited, including making presentations in some of them. Travelling in the continent may be required;
• Preparing materials for the participation (PPTs and flyers); speeches or speaking points and ensure dissemination of information and follow-up;
• Contributing to the setting up of the internal folders in the share drive and preparation of the missions of the SC;
• Providing information, inputs and analysis of developments in African S&T landscape and actions impacting the EU-AU R&I agenda;
• Input and follow-up to information on EU Delegation Website and social media and other promotion materials like brochures;
• Responding to requests for information related to research and innovation.
• Medically fit to perform the required duties;
• Enjoys civil rights and permits for employment under local law;
• High school diploma or equivalent ;
• Minimum 2 years working experience relevant to the job description;
• Minimum required language competence: English and Amharic
Listening : C1 Reading: C1 Spoken interaction: C1 Spoken production: C1 Writing: C1
• Proficient in ICT (knowledge of the whole Microsoft Office Package) required.
Following qualifications will be considered as an asset:
• Higher level education (university degree or equivalent) in scientific area;
• Experience as scientist or working in a technical environment;
• Excellent drafting and communication skills;
• Must be able to communicate clearly;
• Management and interpersonal skills;
• Capacity to focus on priorities and organize work to deliver on time and in cooperation with the Section;
• Must be able to operate in a small team and thus show flexibility and share experiences and expertise;
• Relevant working experience with international organisations or diplomatic missions;
• Other African/European language minimum level B1: Listening : B1 Reading: B1 Spoken interaction: B1 Spoken production: B1 Writing: B1 See https://www.coe.int/en/web/common-european-framework-reference-languages...
How to apply
Application including a motivation letter, a detailed CV (using the attached EU template) and preferably a copy of the last appraisal report and copies of academic certificates and testimonials should be submitted to the EU Delegation by e-mail:
Email: Delegation-African-Union@eeas.europa.eu with copy to Meheret.GEZAHEGNE@eeas.europa.eu
EU Delegation in the AU is an equal opportunity employer. This is a local recruitment open to all persons having the right to live and work in Ethiopia. Selected candidate will start to work as soon as all procedures are finalised.
The Delegation will not supply additional information or discuss the selection procedure by telephone; Please address any queries concerning this procedure to Meheret.GEZAHEGNE@eeas.europa.eu
The deadline for receipt of applications is 7th November at 17:30
After the deadline for applications, the applications will be reviewed by a Selection Committee set up for this purpose. The Selection Committee will prepare a short-list of candidates who are considered to be the most suitable for the post on the basis of a preliminary assessment of the information provided in their application letter and the supporting documents. The short-listed candidates will be invited to an assessment phase which may include a written test and an interview – during this phase, the Selection Committee will assess the suitability of the candidates for the post.
The candidates who have not been short-listed will not be contacted individually; however, the Delegation will use the same means of publication as for this Vacancy Notice to inform the remaining candidates once the recruitment procedure has been completed and that a candidate has (or has not) been recruited.
The European Union is an equal opportunity employer and the Delegation is a smoke free environment.
The Delegation reserves the right to establish a reserve list of suitable candidates for future posts.
EU CV template can be found below