International Aid / Cooperation Officer - Project Officer (16/08/2013)
The Delegation of the European Union in Sierra Leone is accepting applications for the under mentioned vacant position.
Only short-listed applicants will be contacted for interview. Selected applicant will have to undergo medical examination prior to employment.
Applications should include motivation, curriculum vitae (CV), copies of supporting documents and three referees (minimum two professionals). Please use the standard European Union CV template available at the EU Delegation website: http://eeas.europa.eu/delegations/sierra_leone/about_us/vacancies/index_en.htm when forwarding your application. Only applications with the standard EU CV template will be processed.
Applications should be addressed to:
The Head of Administration
Delegation of the European Union in Sierra Leone
Please mark the envelope clearly with: "Vacancy – Project Officer GIS - 158458".
Or by email address: Delegation-Sierra-Leone@eeas.europa.eu with "Vacancy – Project Officer GIS-158458" as subject, including the scanned application and documents.
Closing date for receipt of applications is Friday 16th August 2013 at 13:00 hours.
Job title: International Aid / Cooperation Officer - Project Officer
Job family: External Relations
Job category: AL 1
Job status: Existing post
Location: Delegation of the European Union in Freetown, Sierra Leone
Reporting Relationship: He/she will be responsible directly to the Head of section Governance and Institutional Strengthening (GIS) and through that post to the Head of Mission.
Job Profile: Job Requirements Job Environment
To advise on and manage, under the supervision of the Head of Section, the implementation of projects and programs of development assistance and of financial and technical cooperation with third countries in the fields that are managed by the Section. Follow up of sector policy and programme implementation. To assist the Head of Section in co-coordinating the Section’s activities, where required
Functions & duties
Function name: Sector analysis, strategy formulation and programming
Function type: Policy Analysis
- Support policy dialogue with all relevant ministries, agencies, donors and other relevant stakeholders in all areas of concern.
- Contribute to sector analysis and to the definition of a sector strategy for the European community, e.g. Country Strategic Paper (CSP), National Indicative Programme (NIP) etc.
Function name: Sectoral reporting to Headquarters
Function type: Internal Communication
- Observe, monitor and report regularly and in timely fashion (including early warnings on potential disputes) to Headquarters on sectoral issues, as well as in response to any specific requests
Function name: Delegation’s project cycle management
Function type: Programme /Project/Process Management
- Contribute to the programming, identification and appraisal in close cooperation with the beneficiary institution(s) in Sierra Leone, if and when such programmes are decided in the programming process.
- Contribute to all aspects of the procurement process (drafting Terms of Reference, launching tenders, etc).
- Draft contracts.
- Supervise the correct implementation of the contractual obligations and ensure timely follow-up when needed.
- Monitor ongoing projects, attend management and monitoring meetings, elaborate progress reports on projects and propose action if and when needed.
- Evaluate projects
- Maintain contacts with other donors active in host country
- Give an “operational visa” on documents where required. Encode entries accurately and comprehensively in CRIS and/or conducts the quality checks (e.g. accuracy and comprehensiveness of data entered in CRIS
Function name: Preparation and follow up of calls for tender/calls for proposals
Function type: Project /Process Management
- Assist in launching, managing and monitoring calls for proposals, tenders, evaluation and selection of projects
- ensure the follow-up of the implementation of projects and the performance of project managers and partners, monitor contractual obligations (via periodic reviews, audits, reporting and assistance, etc) and gather and handle eternal expertise
- Deal with horizontal activities, concertation and networking aspects of the programme and its projects
Function name: Representation, Negotiation, Participation
Function type: Representation, Negotiation, Participation
- Maintain good and effective contacts with the local operators in the field, with the national authorities and institutions, with representatives of the diplomatic missions of the member states, with representatives of the principal international donors, with NGOs and other local non-official actors
- Prepare and assist in missions from Headquarters
Function name: Communication relating to programme and projects
Function type: External Communication
- Produce and disseminate the results of projects at workshops, seminars, conferences and other public events
- Extract and disseminate best practices and facilitate exchange of experiences
- Contribute to the production of publications
Required qualifications and experience:
Degree: Bachelor degree (minimum) in the field of development studies, social studies or international relations.
Experience: A minimum of two-year experience in project management. Programme management experience within a non-governmental organisation desirable
Language: Fluent English – excellent writing skills are required
Computer: Proficiency in the use of Microsoft Office applications
Other: The job holder needs to possess outstanding communication skills, both orally and in writing, as he/she will be exposed to a variety of actors in development, ranging from line ministries to non-governmental organisations. Ability to work in a team and under pressure