Rainbow over Port Moresby ©EU
Papua New Guinea (PNG) has been a member of the African Caribbean Pacific (ACP) grouping since 1980.
The EU's political dialogue with Papua New Guinea focuses on:
- protecting its vulnerable environment, especially in relation to climate change
- defending human rights and gender issues.
The EU and Papua New Guinea are discussing how to collaborate more closely in multilateral fora on these and other issues.
The First Enhanced EU – Papua New Guinea political dialogue took place on 6 May 2014 in Port Moresby.
Aid and cooperation
For the period 2008-2013, the Country Strategy Paper for 2008-13 provides a budget of €104m from the 10th European Development Fund (EDF)
The main focus areas for EU assistance and cooperation are:
rural economic development to improve rural livelihoods through district development plans
human resource development to improve basic education in remote regions and management of the education system
- good governance
- gender-related projects initiated by Papua New Guinea to improve the lives of women and their contribution to society
climate change and responsible natural resource management.
For the period 2014-2020, under the 11th EDF, an indicative amount of € 184 m will focus on three focal sectors:
- Rural Entrepreneurship, Investment and Trade
- Water, Sanitation and Hygiene