International Aid / Cooperation Officer - Task Manager - Economic Development, Private Sector and Trade, Institutional Development OPS1 (19/12/2014)
The European Union Representative Office to the West Bank and Gaza Strip is looking for a International Aid / Cooperation Officer - Task Manager - Economic Development, Private Sector and Trade, Institutional Development OPS1
The European Union (EU) is an economic and political partnership between 28 European countries. It plays an important role in international affairs through diplomacy, trade, development aid and working with global organisations. Abroad, the EU is represented through more than 140 diplomatic representations, known also as EU Delegations, which have a similar function to those of an embassy.
The EU Delegation to the West Bank and Gaza Strip: The basis of the EU's work is its long-standing commitment to the vision of an independent and sovereign state of Palestine living side by side with Israel in peace and security. The EU works closely with the Palestinian Authority (PA) to build viable institutions that are essential to run a democratic state. The bottom-up process of building the institutions of the future Palestinian state is complemented by political work. The EU – with the UN, the US and Russia – is a member of the so-called Quartet which mediates between the two parties in an effort to advance the two-state solution.
We offer a post of International Aid / Cooperation Officer - Task Manager - Economic Development, Private Sector and Trade, Institutional Development to advise on and manage, under the supervision of the Head of Economic Development, Private Sector and Trade, Institutional Development Section, the implementation of programmes and projects and to assist the Head of Economic Development, Private Sector and Trade, Institutional Development Section in co-ordinating the section activities, where required.
I. FUNCTIONS AND DUTIES:
Sector analysis, strategy formulation and programming
(Function type: Policy Analysis)
- Support policy dialogue with all relevant ministries, agencies, donors and other relevant stakeholders in all areas of concern.
- Contribute to sector analysis and to the definition of a sector strategy for the European Union, e.g.: Single Support Framework (SSF).
(Function type: Internal Communication)
- Observe, monitor and report regularly and in fashion (including early warnings on potential dispute) on sectoral issues, as well as in response to any specific requests.
Delegation’s project cycle management
(Function type: Programming/Project/Process Management)
- Contribute to the programming, identification and appraisal in close cooperation with the beneficiary institutions where necessary.
- Contribute to all aspects of the procurement process (drafting Guidelines, Terms of Reference, launching call for proposals, tenders, etc.).
- Monitor ongoing projects, attend management and monitoring meetings, elaborate progress reports on projects and propose action if and when needed.
- Evaluate projects.
- Maintain contacts with other donors active in the host country.
- Give Operational Visa on documents when required.
Representation, Negotiation, Participation
(Function type: Representation, Negotiation, Participation)
- Maintain good and effective contacts with the local operators in the field, with the national authorities and institutions, with representatives of the diplomatic missions of the Member States, with representatives of the principle international donors and agencies, with NGOs and other local non-official actors.
- Prepare and assist in mission from Headquarters.
Communication relating to programme and projects
(Function type: External Communication)
- Produce and disseminate best results of projects at workshops, seminars, conferences and other public events.
- Extract and disseminate best practices and facilitate exchange of experiences.
- Contribute to the production of publications.
We look for
II. EDUCATION AND TRAINING
- Formal education which corresponds to completed university studies of at least three years’ duration attested by a diploma in Economic and Social Sciences, Public Administration, Business Administration, International Relations.
- Excellent command of the project cycle management.
- Minimum of 5 years of relevant professional experience is required in sectors in relation to private sector support and economic development.
- Minimum of 3 years specific experience is required in relevant activities within governmental organisation, non-profit organisation, donor agency involved in development aid, or other stakeholder involved in support to private sector and economic development.
- Experience in the ENP South region and in particular in Palestine will be an asset.
- Specific experience in project management.
- External Relations
- EU External Assistance instruments
- European Neighbourhood Policy
- External Relations
- Information, Communication and Publication
- Computer literacy in key software packages (WORD, EXCEL, Outlook, PowerPoint)
- Excellent communication and drafting skills – including writing of reports, briefing and speeches.
- Strong analytical and negotiation skills.
- Fluent Arabic and English (proficiency in writing and speaking). French and Hebrew will be an advantage.
VI. CHARACTER REFERENCES
- Ability to adhere to institutional policy guidelines.
- Ability to collaborate with people of diverse background.
- Ability to work in a proactive and autonomous way.
- Ability to work in a team.
- Planning and coordination capacities.
Presence and activity may be required outside normal working hours
How to apply
Please fill in the attached EU-Job-Application form [96 KB] (Do NOT send any CV's) with a presentation/ cover letter, highlighting how your education, training and experience fulfil the job requirements, to arrive no later than 19th December 2014 @ 14:00 to:
- The Office of the European Union Representative (Administration/ Human Resources Section) P.O.Box 22207, Mount of Olives; 9122101 Jerusalem
- Or by Fax to the number: 00-972-2-541-5857
- Or by email to Delegation-West-Bank-Gaza-Recruitment@eeas.europa.eu ONLY
Please include the following reference in the correspondence: "International Aid / Cooperation Officer – Task Manager - Economic Development, Private Sector and Trade, Institutional Development
Applications will be treated in confidence. Only short listed candidates will be contacted.
The selection procedure will start with the evaluation of applications, followed by a written test by the selected candidates and concluded by interviews with the shortlisted candidates.
The EU does not impose any nationality requirement. The selected candidate will be recruited locally and needs to have the right to live and work in the country. The EU Representative Office will need to check that there is no impediment to the candidate's employment in local law (provisions on work permits, etc.);
The Delegation will not supply additional information or discuss the selection procedure by telephone. Please address any queries concerning this procedure to Delegation-West-Bank-Gaza-Recruitment@eeas.europa.eu