On 21 March 2014, European Union Heads of State and Government and Ukrainian Prime Minister H.E. Mr Arseny Yatsenyuk signed the political provisions of the EU-Ukraine Association Agreement.
At the same time, the commitment to signing the remaining provisions (on the DCFTA) was also reaffirmed. In order not to await the entry into force of the Association Agreement's provisions on a Deep and Comprehensive Free Trade Area (DCFTA), it was decided to start the unilateral reduction or elimination of the EU's customs duties on goods originating in Ukraine.
What is in the Association Agreement?
The Association Agreement is a pioneering document: it is the first agreement based on political association between the EU and any of the Eastern Partnership countries, and is unprecedented in its breadth (number of areas covered) and depth (detail of commitments and timelines).
The key parts focus on support to core reforms, economic recovery and growth, and governance and sector cooperation in areas such as energy, transport and environment protection, industrial cooperation, social development and protection, equal rights, consumer protection, education, youth, and cultural cooperation.
The Agreement also puts a strong emphasis on values and principles: democracy and the rule of law, respect for human rights and fundamental freedoms, good governance, a market economy and sustainable development.
There will be enhanced cooperation in foreign and security policy and energy.
It includes a Deep and Comprehensive Free Trade Area – this will go further than classic free trade areas, as it will both open up markets but also address competitiveness issues and the steps needed to meet EU standards and trade on EU markets.
The Agreement will also highlight Justice, Freedom & Security issues which also include provisions on mobility.
Relevant information materials and brochures:
- Text of the Association Agreement
- Documents signed on 21 March 2014: signatures of the political provisions of the Association Agreement [4 MB] , Final Act of the Summit [16 KB] , the signatures of the Final Act [3 MB]
- Brochure on the EU-Ukraine Association Agreement
- Frequently asked questions about Ukraine, EU-Ukraine Association Agreement and the EU's Eastern Partnership [674 KB]
- EU-Ukraine Association Agreement - "What´s it all about? Q&A" [179 KB]
- EU-Ukraine Association Agreement - "What does the Agreement offer?"
The Association Agreement is the solution - not the problem, an article by Jan Tombinski, Ambassador of the European Union to Ukraine
- EU-Ukraine Relations