The EU-Ukraine Association Agreement was completely signed on 27 June 2014. The signature was followed by simultaneous ratification by the Verkhovna Rada and the European Parliament on 16 September 2014.
Important parts of the EU-Ukraine Association Agreement were provisionally applied as of 1 November 2014.
Since 1 January 2016 also the Title IV of the Association Agreement (which establishes a Deep and Comprehensive Free Trade Area (DCFTA)) is provisionally applied. In order to maintain its support for Ukrainian exporters, the EU will extend its autonomous trade measures up to the same date.
What is in the Association Agreement?
The Association Agreement is a pioneering document: it is the first agreement based on political association between the EU and any of the Eastern Partnership countries, and is unprecedented in its breadth (number of areas covered) and depth (detail of commitments and timelines).
The Agreement focuses on support to core reforms, economic recovery and growth, and governance and sector cooperation in areas such as energy, transport and environment protection, industrial cooperation, social development and protection, equal rights, consumer protection, education, youth, and cultural cooperation.
The Agreement also puts a strong emphasis on values and principles: democracy and the rule of law, respect for human rights and fundamental freedoms, good governance, a market economy and sustainable development.
There will be enhanced cooperation in foreign and security policy and energy.
It includes a Deep and Comprehensive Free Trade Area (DCFTA), which goes further than classic free trade areas, as it will both open up markets but also address competitiveness issues and the steps needed to meet EU standards and trade on EU markets.
The Agreement will also highlight Justice, Freedom & Security issues which also include provisions on mobility.
Relevant information materials and brochures:
- Text of the Association Agreement
- Documents signed on 21 March 2014: signatures of the political provisions of the Association Agreement , Final Act of the Summit [16 KB] , the signatures of the Final Act [3 MB]
- Brochure on the EU-Ukraine Association Agreement
- Frequently asked questions about Ukraine, EU-Ukraine Association Agreement and the EU's Eastern Partnership
- EU-Ukraine Association Agreement - "What´s it all about? Q&A"
- EU-Ukraine Association Agreement - "What does the Agreement offer?"
- EU-Ukraine Association Agreement - Quick Guide to the Association Agreement"
- Brochure "EU-Ukraine Deep and Comprehensive Free Trade Area - a reading guide"
- The Association Agreement is the solution - not the problem, an article by Jan Tombinski, Ambassador of the European Union to Ukraine
- Ukraine and the World: Addressing Tomorrow’s Challenges Together
- EU-Ukraine Relations
- Key Documents