19/08/15 - Joint Statement on EU support to UNRWA by HR/VP Federica Mogherini, EU Commissioner for Neighborhood Policy and Enlargement Negotiations, Johannes Hahn, and Commissioner for Humanitarian Aid and Crisis Management, Christos Stylianides
European Commission - Statement Brussels, 19 August 2015 Today, the United Nations Relief and Works Agency for Palestine Refugees in the Near East (UNRWA) declared that schools are set to re-open for Palestinian children and refugees in neighbouring countries in Jordan, Lebanon and Syria in the coming weeks.
17/08/15 - Joint declaration by the High Representative and Vice President, Federica Mogherini, and the EU Commissioner for Humanitarian Aid and Crisis Management, Christos Stylianides, on the latest indiscriminate attacks against the Syrian people
European Commission - Statement Brussels, 17 August 2015 Violence continues to escalate in Syria, which has already become the world's largest humanitarian crisis. In early August alone, no fewer than nine hospitals were deliberately targeted in the Idlib region and civilians were hit in Douma, Zabadani and elsewhere, killing more...
- 28/07/15 - Declaration by the High Representative on behalf of the EU on the alignment of certain third countries concerning restrictive measures against Syria.
The end-tag for element type "p" must end with a '>' delimiter.
- 16/07/15 - Statement by Commissioner for International Cooperation and Development Neven Mimica following the adoption of the “Addis Ababa Action Agenda” by the Third International Conference on Financing for Development
- 10/07/15 - Declaration by the High Representative on behalf of the EU on the alignment of certain third countries concerning restrictive measures against Syria
The end-tag for element type "p" must end with a '>' delimiter.
- 29/05/15 - Syria: EU extends sanctions against the regime and its supporters by one year
- 29/05/15 - Syrian refugee crisis: EU Trust Fund launches first response programmes for €40 million, helping up to 400,000 people in Lebanon, Turkey, Jordan and Iraq
European Commission - Press release Brussels, 29 May 2015 Today, the new EU regional Trust Fund in response to the Syrian crisis, held its first board meeting and adopted European response programmes for € 40 million. It will provide aid to 400,000 Syrian refugees and host communities in need in...
- 28/05/15 - Syria: EU extends sanctions against the regime and its supporters by one year
Co-chairs' statement 24th GCC-EU Joint Council and Ministerial Meeting
The end-tag for element type "p" must end with a '>' delimiter.
- 18/05/15 - Conclusions of the 43rd meeting of the EEA Council
- 23/04/15 - Special meeting of the European Council on Migratory Crisis
- 18/04/15 - Declaration by the High Representative on behalf of the European Union on the situation in the Yarmouk Palestinian refugee camp in Syria
The EU is seriously concerned at the continued deterioration of the security and humanitarian situation in Syria.
- 10/04/15 - Statement of the High Representative and Vice-President Federica Mogherini and the Commissioner for Humanitarian Aid and Crisis Management Christos Stylianides on the situation in Yarmouk, Syria
European Commission - Statement Statement Statement Brussels, 10 April 2015 The security and humanitarian situation in the Yarmouk refugee camp in Syria has gone from bad to worse. Innocent people are now being used as human shields by the fighting sides.
- 07/04/15 - EU increases its emergency aid in Yarmouk, Syria
- 31/03/15 - EU continues its strong support for the vicitms of Syria's crisis
- 25/03/15 - Adoption of the 2014 European Neighbourhood Reports
European Commission - Press release Brussels, 25 March 2015 In a set of annual reports adopted today, the European Commission and the High Representative of the European Union for Foreign Affairs and Security Policy assessed the implementation of the European Neighbourhood Policy (ENP) with the 16 partner countries in the...
- 17/03/15 - Interactive Dialogue with the Commission of Inquiry on the Syrian Arab Republic - EU Intervention at UN Human Rights Council [21 KB]
- 16/03/15 - Main results of the Foreign Affairs Council
- 16/03/15 - Council conclusions on the EU regional strategy for Syria and Iraq as well as the ISIL/Da'esh threat
- 13/03/15 - Statement by Commissioner Christos Stylianides on the 4th anniversary of the Syria crisis
- 06/03/15 - Syria: EU strengthens sanctions against the regime and its supporters
- 04/03/15 - Press release - Towards a new European Neighbourhood Policy: the EU launches a consultation on the future of its relations with neighbouring countries.
High Representative for Foreign Affairs and Security Policy/Vice-President of the Commission Federica Mogheriniand Commissioner for European Neighbourhood Policy and Enlargement Negotiations Johannes Hahn are launching today a consultation on the future of the European Neighbourhood Policy (ENP). The ENP was last reviewed in 2011. Given the significant developments in the neighbourhood since then, it is now essential to undertake a fundamental review of the principles on which the policy is based as well as its scope and how its instruments should be used.
- 10/02/15 - Statement by High Representative/Vice-President Federica Mogherini and Commissioner for Humanitarian Aid and Crisis Management Christos Stylianides on the death of aid worker Kayla Mueller
European Commission - Statement Statement Statement Brussels, 10 February 2015 We extend our deepest condolences to the family, friends and colleagues of Kayla Mueller. Her death is just the latest in the long and terrible series of killings perpetrated in the Syrian conflict.
- 09/02/15 - Main results of the Foreign Affairs Council
- 06/02/15 - Elements for an EU regional strategy for Syria and Iraq as well as the Da'esh threat - Joint Communication to the European Parliament and the Council
- 06/02/15 - New strategy mobilises all EU tools and €1 billion for Syria and Iraq
European Commission - Press release Brussels, 06 February 2015 The European Commission and the High Representative are presenting the first EU comprehensive strategy on tackling the crises in Syria and Iraq and the threat posed by Da'esh.
- 15/12/14 - European Commission and Italy launch first ever EU Regional Trust Fund in response to the Syrian Crisis
- Press release European Commission Brussels, 15 December 2014 The European Commission and Italy have signed today the constitutive agreement to launch the first ever EU Regional Trust Fund as a new strategic financing tool to mobilise more aid in response to the Syrian Crisis. The start-up funding provided amounts to 20 million from the EU budget and 3 million from Italy...
- 09/05/14 - Fact sheet on ENP, issued in occasion of the Europe Day celebration [978 KB]
- 09/05/14 - Fact sheet on the Arab Spring, issued in occasion of the Europe Day celebration [2 MB]
- 18/12/13 - Speech - Statement by President Barroso following the meeting with UN leaders on humanitarian support to Syria
European Commission José Manuel Durão Barroso President of the European Commission Speech - Press point/Brussels 18 December 2013 Good afternoon ladies and gentlemen, I am delighted to welcome Ms Valerie Amos, Under Secretary General and Emergency Relief Coordinator UNOCHA, Mr António Guterres, UN High Commissioner for Refugees, and Mr Anthony...
- 08/12/13 - Syria: A thousand days of crisis
European Commission Press release Brussels, 8 December 2013 On the occasion of the thousandth day of crisis in Syria, Kristalina Georgieva, European Commissioner for International Cooperation, Humanitarian Aid and Crisis Response, made the following statement: "Sadly today marks one thousand days since the start of what has become the most...
- 28/10/13 - Syria crisis: EU delivers on its pledges and mobilises another €85 million for Syria and Jordan
European Commission Press release Brussels, 28 October 2013 The European Commission has allocated another part of the recent package of €400m to deal with the consequences of the Syrian crisis. This newest allocation is aimed at providing assistance to the population inside Syria, Syrian refugees and host communities living in...
- 26/10/13 - Statement by Commissioner Kristalina Georgieva, International Cooperation, Humanitarian Aid and Crisis Response, on suspected polio cases in Syria
European Commission Press release Brussels, 26 October 2013 The World Health Organisation (WHO) received reports that twenty two cases of acute flaccid paralysis (AFP), possibly caused by the poliovirus, have been diagnosed in Deir-ez-zur in Northern Syria.
- 11/10/13 - The EU Children of Peace projects: how the European Union keeps bringing peace closer to those who need it the most
European Commission MEMO Brussels, 11 October 2013 A year ago, the Norwegian Nobel Committee awarded the Nobel Peace Prize to the European Union for its six decades of service to the advancement of peace, reconciliation, democracy and human rights.
- 03/10/13 - Statement by Commissioner Georgieva following the Security Council Presidential Statement
European Commission MEMO Brussels, 3 October 2013 "I welcome the United Nations Presidential Statement regarding the humanitarian situation in Syria. It is a hopeful sign that the international community is firmly coming together to step up pressure on all sides of the conflict to provide unfettered access to the 7...
- 01/10/13 - The Syrian crisis – humanitarian priorities of the European Commission
European Commission Kristalina Georgieva European Commissioner for International Cooperation, Humanitarian Aid and Crisis Response Speech - UNHCR Executive Committee High Level Segment /Geneva 30 September 2013 High Commissioner Guterres, Excellencies, Ladies and Gentlemen, I am very grateful to the Executive Committee of UNHCR for bringing us all here.
- 25/09/13 - Syria: EU biggest donor, leads international aid response, reaching 7 million people in need
European Commission Press release Brussels, 25 September 2013 Responding to the unprecedented humanitarian needs in and around Syria, the EU has so far mobilised almost € 1.8 billion in relief and recovery aid from both the Commission and Member States, making it the largest international contribution accounting for a significant...
- 25/09/13 - Additional €34 million contribution to Syria’s children, as EU becomes largest donor to UNICEF
European Commission MEMO Brussels, 24 September 2013 New York (24 September) – UNICEF and the European Union signed a new cooperation agreement today that provides an additional €34.2 million ($45 million) to protect children affected by the Syria crisis and promote access to learning in Syria, Jordan and Lebanon.
- 10/09/13 - Lebanon: Further support of €58 million to deal with Syria crisis
European Commission Press release Brussels, 10 September 2013 The European Commission has adopted new funding today for a total of €58 million in support of Lebanon. The objective of this newly adopted assistance is to alleviate the impact of the high influx of refugees from Syria.
- 03/09/13 - Statement by Kristalina Georgieva on latest figure of refugees fleeing from the Syrian crisis
European Commission MEMO Brussels, 3 September 2013 "Today it was confirmed that the number of refugees who have fled from the war in Syria into neighbouring countries has reached the appalling milestone of two million. More than half of all those refugees are children.
- 01/08/13 - The EU's bilateral trade and investment agreements – where are we?
European Commission MEMO Brussels, 1 August 2013 Over the next years, 90% of world demand will be generated outside the EU. That is why it is a key priority for the EU to open up more market opportunities for European business by negotiating new Free Trade Agreements with key countries.
- 25/07/13 - Speech: European Neighbourhood Policy – Priorities and Directions for Change
European Commission Štefan Füle European Commissioner for Enlargement and Neighbourhood Policy European Neighbourhood Policy Speech: European Neighbourhood Policy Annual Conference of Polish Ambassadors/ Warsaw, Poland 25 July 2013 Minister, Excellencies, Ladies and Gentlemen, It is a pleasure to be here with you today to exchange views on the priorities and...
- 20/06/13 - Q/A: The European Commission's work to help refugees
European Commission MEMO Brussels, 20 June 2013 Who is a refugee? Every year natural disasters, conflicts and human rights violations force millions of people to leave their homes and to flee to save their lives. Their survival often depends on international assistance and protection.
- 18/06/13 - Joint statement by European Commission President Barroso and European Council President Van Rompuy after the G8 Summit in Lough Erne (UK), 17-18 June 2013
European Commission MEMO Lough Erne, 18 June 2013 European Commission President José Manuel Barroso and European Council President Herman Van Rompuy represented the European Union at this year's G8 summit chaired by UK Prime Minister Cameron in Lough Erne.
- 06/06/13 - Statement by Humanitarian Aid Commissioner Georgieva on new EU funding for Syrian humanitarian crisis
European Commission MEMO Brussels, 6 June 2013 President Barroso's announcement of 400 million euros additional funding for the Syrian humanitarian crisis is not only welcome but timely and urgently needed. Tomorrow the United Nations agencies will launch a fresh appeal for international donations to fund their life-saving activities in Syria...
- 06/06/13 - Statement of President Barroso on Syria
European Commission MEMO Brussels, 6 June 2013 The Syrian crisis is the most dramatic humanitarian situation in the last decade. The international community cannot stand by idly. The EU is already the largest humanitarian donor for the crisis with more than 840 million euros.
- 05/06/13 - President Barroso defends unrestricted and unconditional humanitarian access in Syria in summit with Russia
European Commission MEMO Brussels, 5 June 2013 At the EU-Russia Summit, President Barroso said: "The European Commission is a major donor of humanitarian aid to the Syrian crisis. Indeed the European Union, Commission plus Member States, are by far the biggest donor of humanitarian aid to the refugees coming from...
- 04/06/13 - Statement by Commissioner Füle following his visit to the Zaatari refugee Camp
European Commission MEMO Amman, 4 June 2013 ''It is a pleasure to be part of this signing ceremony. The signature for the financing of this important project is a significant step in providing education to the children of Syrian refugees in Zaatari camp.
- 03/06/13 - Jordan: EU provides new support to deal with Syrian refugee crisis
European Commission Press release Brussels/Amman, 3 June 2013 The European Commission will provide additional assistance of €50 million to Jordan to alleviate the impact of the high influx of refugees from Syria, Commissioner for Enlargement and European Neighbourhood Policy, Štefan Füle, announced today during his visit to Amman.
- 03/06/13 - Statement by Commissioner Kristalina Georgieva, European Commissioner for International Cooperation, Humanitarian Aid and Crisis Response on the situation in Al Qusayr
European Commission MEMO Brussels, 3 June 2013 I have been following with increasing alarm the rapidly deteriorating situation in recent days in the town of Al Qusayr in Syria. This is being billed in the international media as a defining moment in the Syrian civil war, which has now claimed...
- 29/05/13 - With Commissioner General of UNRWA about Palestinian refugees and Syrian crisis
European Commission MEMO Brussels, 29 May 2013 The situation of the Palestinian refugees in the context of the Syrian crisis was the main topic discussed by Commissioner for Enlargement and European Neighbourhood Policy Štefan Füle with the Commissioner-General of UNRWA Filippo Grandi during their meeting in Brussels today.
- 27/05/13 - President Barroso discusses Syria crisis with leading UN officials
European Commission MEMO Brussels, 27 May 2013 Today President José Manuel Barroso met Mr. António Guterres, UN High Commissioner for Refugees, Baroness Valerie Amos, UN Under-Secretary-General for Humanitarian Affairs and Emergency Relief Coordinator, and Mrs. Etharin Cousin, Executive Director of the UN World Food Programme.
- 22/05/13 - Speech - Remarks by EU Commissioner Štefan Füle on behalf of HRVP Catherine Ashton on the situation of Syrian refugees in neighbouring countries
European Commission Catherine Ashton EU High Representative for Foreign Affairs and Security Policy and Vice President of the European Commission Speech - European Parliament/Strasbourg 22 May 2013 President, Honourable Members, This is a crisis that has brought unspeakable suffering to the people of Syria and that has already gone beyond...
- 22/05/13 - The Syria Conference: last exit peace?
- 12/05/13 - Syria crisis: the EU responds to spiralling needs with more emergency humanitarian aid
European Commission Press release Brussels, 12 May 2013 The European Commission is announcing today an additional €65 million in response to the rapidly growing scale of the humanitarian crisis resulting from the conflict in Syria.
- 23/04/13 - Lebanon: EU allocates additional financial support for refugee crisis
European Commission Press release Brussels, 23 April 2013 The European Commission has adopted a decision to provide additional financial support to Lebanon to mitigate the impact of the Syrian crisis in the country. Commissioner for Enlargement and European Neighbourhood, Policy Štefan Füle, said: “Lebanon receives the highest number of people...
- 27/03/13 - The EU releases further assistance to support Palestinian people and refugees
European Commission Press release Brussels, 27 March 2013 The European Union has today adopted the second part of its 2013 assistance package for Palestine. It will ensure that critical support to the Palestinian Authority (PA) and United Nations Relief and Works Agency for Palestine Refugees in the Near East (UNRWA)...
- 26/03/13 - Chemical weapon use in Syria? - by Jean Pascal Zanders
- 20/03/13 - Commissioner Cecilia Malmström welcomes the announcement by Germany to resettle 5000 Syrian nationals
European Commission MEMO Brussels, 20 March 2013 "I have been in contact today by phone with the German Federal Minister of the Interior, Hans-Peter Friedrich, who informed me of Germany's intention to resettle 5000 Syrian nationals in need of shelter in the coming months.
- 20/03/13 - Speech: Presentation of the European Neighbourhood Policy package
European Commission Štefan Füle European Commissioner for Enlargement and Neighbourhood Policy Speech: European Parliament Foreign Affairs Committee, Brussels 20 March 2013 Mr Chairman, Honourable Members, I am delighted to be able to come directly to you from today's meeting of the Commission where we adopted this year's set of reports...
- 20/03/13 - ENP Package – Syria
European Commission MEMO Brussels, 20 March 2013 Syria continues to be embroiled in an armed internal conflict that causes far-reaching harm and damage. While all bilateral cooperation with the Syrian regime has been suspended, the Syrian population further benefits from EU assistance, especially the large-scale humanitarian aid.
- 20/03/13 - European Neighbourhood Policy in 2012: Continuing engagement for a stronger cooperation with neighbours despite turbulent political and economic conditions
Commission Press release Brussels, 20 March 2013 European The cooperation of the EU with its partner countries is stronger and is delivering positive results, indicate the country and regional reports on the progress of the European Neighbourhood Policy (ENP) in 2012 published today.
- 19/03/13 - European Neighbourhood Policy (ENP) - Fact Sheet
Commission MEMO Brussels, 19 March 2013 European What is the European Neighbourhood Policy? The European Neighbourhood Policy (ENP) was developed in 2004, with the objective of avoiding the emergence of new dividing lines between the enlarged EU and our neighbours and instead strengthening the prosperity, stability and security of all.
- 07/03/13 - Statement by the Spokesperson of EU High Representative Catherine Ashton on the detention of UN peacekeepers by an armed opposition group in Syria
- 05/03/13 - Press points by Neighbourhood Commissioner Füle at the end of his Lebanon visit
European Commission MEMO Brussels, 5 March 2013 I have had very good discussions with Prime Minister Miqati, President Sleiman, with the Ministers of Foreign Affairs and Social Affairs as well as with representatives of civil society and UN agencies yesterday and today.
- 05/03/13 - Lebanon: European Commission provides €30m more to deal with refugee crisis
European Commission Press release Brussels, 5 March 2013 The European Commission will provide an additional €30 million to Lebanon to alleviate the impact of the high influx of refugees from Syria, Commissioner for Enlargement and European Neighbourhood Policy Štefan Füle announced during his visit to Beirut.
- 01/03/13 - Neighbourhood Commissioner Füle visiting Lebanon on 4-5 March
European Commission Brussels, 1 March 2013 Š. Füle visiting Lebanon on 4-5 March Commissioner for Enlargement and European Neighbourhood Policy Štefan Füle will visit Lebanon on 4th and 5th March. During his stay in Beirut he will meet President Michel Sleiman and Prime Minister Najib Miqati as well as representatives...
- 30/01/13 - Speech: A collective effort to support the victims of Syria's crisis – the European Union's humanitarian work
European Commission Kristalina Georgieva European Commissioner for international cooperation, humanitarian aid and crisis response Speech: Kuwait pledging conference for the Syria crisis Kuwait City ,30 January 2013 Exellencies, ladies and gentlemen, I would like to thank you, Your Highness Amir SABAH al-Ahmad al-Jaber al-Sabah and Secretary-General BAN KI-Moon and, for...
- 29/01/13 - Syrian crisis: EU pledges €100 million for humanitarian aid
European Commission Press release Brussels, 29 January 2013 The European Commission will pledge €100 million of humanitarian funding at the International Pledging Conference for Syria convened by UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon and hosted by Kuwait on 30 January.
- 16/01/13 - Statement by Commissioner Kristalina Georgieva on the deteriorating humanitarian situation in Syria
European Commission MEMO Brussels, 16 January 2013 "I am appalled by the deteriorating situation in Syria and its effect on the suffering people of that country. Over the past weeks, fighting has increased and the conflict is spreading even further. Prices of basic commodities like bread and fuel have sky-rocketed.
- 15/01/13 - New European Union assistance for the Palestinian people
European Commission Press release Brussels, 15 January 2013 The European Union has decided to bring forward the first part of its 2013 assistance package for the Palestinian people to the beginning of the year in order to ensure that the support to the Palestinian Authority (PA) and United Nations Relief...