10/02/15 - Statement by High Representative/Vice-President Federica Mogherini and Commissioner for Humanitarian Aid and Crisis Management Christos Stylianides on the death of aid worker Kayla Mueller
European Commission - Statement Statement Statement Brussels, 10 February 2015 We extend our deepest condolences to the family, friends and colleagues of Kayla Mueller. Her death is just the latest in the long and terrible series of killings perpetrated in the Syrian conflict.
09/02/15 - Main results of the Foreign Affairs Council
- 06/02/15 - New strategy mobilises all EU tools and €1 billion for Syria and Iraq
European Commission - Press release Brussels, 06 February 2015 The European Commission and the High Representative are presenting the first EU comprehensive strategy on tackling the crises in Syria and Iraq and the threat posed by Da'esh.
- 15/12/14 - European Commission and Italy launch first ever EU Regional Trust Fund in response to the Syrian Crisis
The European Commission and Italy have signed today the constitutive agreement to launch the first ever EU Regional Trust Fund as a new strategic financing tool to mobilise more aid in response to the Syrian Crisis. The start-up funding provided amounts to 20 million from the EU budget and 3 million from Italy as the first founding donor. Additional funding is foreseen for 2015. The EU Trust Fund will initially focus on support to refugees and host communities in Syria's neighbouring countries.
- 15/12/14 - European Commission and Italy launch first ever EU Regional Trust Fund in response to the Syrian Crisis
- Press release European Commission Brussels, 15 December 2014 The European Commission and Italy have signed today the constitutive agreement to launch the first ever EU Regional Trust Fund as a new strategic financing tool to mobilise more aid in response to the Syrian Crisis. The start-up funding provided amounts to 20 million from the EU budget and 3 million from Italy...
- 15/12/14 - FACT SHEET - The European Union and Syria
The European Union has responded decisively to the violent repression of anti-government protests in Syria, which began in March 2011.
- 15/12/14 - Remarks by High Representative Federica Mogherini arriving to the Foreign Affairs Council, Brussels, 15 December 2014
- 09/12/14 - HR/VP Federica Mogherini visits Lebanon
High Representative/Vice-President of the Union for Foreign Affairs and Security Policy Federica Mogherini, will travel today to Lebanon where she will meet with Lebanese Prime Minister Tamam Salam and Minister of Foreign Affairs Gebran Bassil.
- 04/12/14 - EU-Syria: €180 million to deal with crisis and spill-over in Lebanon and Jordan
The European Commission today adopted a package worth €180 million to deal with the effects of the Syrian crisis in the country itself, as well as in Lebanon and Jordan, who are currently hosting around 1.1 million and 630,000 refugees respectively
- 04/12/14 - Fact Sheet - EU-Syria: €180 million to deal with crisis and spill-over in Lebanon and Jordan
In order to help the Syrian population inside the country to cope with the effects of the crisis and prepare for early recovery, today’s assistance package comprises the following actions
- 02/12/14 - Co-Chairs Conclusions of the Third Meeting of the Political and Security Committee of the Council of the European Union and the League of Arab States Permanent Representatives [7 KB]
- 16/11/14 - Joint statement on the murder of US aid worker Peter Kassig
Federica Mogherini, High Representative for Foreign Affairs and Security Policy/Vice-President of the European Commission, and Christos Stylianides, Commisioner for Humanitarian Aid and Crisis Management, issued the following statement today:
- 23/10/14 - European Parliament Plenary: Situation in Kobanê
- 12/10/14 - Kobane refugee crisis: EU steps up assistance
European Commission Press release Brussels, 12 October 2014 The European Commission is giving € 3.9 million in humanitarian funding to help meet the urgent needs of the thousands of people who have fled to Turkey in recent weeks to escape the fighting in the Syrian town of Kobane.
- 24/09/14 - Syria crisis: an extra €112 million to prevent a lost generation of children
European Commission Press release Brussels, 24 September 2014 The European Commission is giving €112 million to support children affected by the crisis in Syria. The amount is part of the overall funding of €215 million announced yesterday in support of the response to the Syria crisis.
- 23/09/14 - Syria crisis: EU steps up assistance
European Commission Press release Brussels, 23 September 2014 The European Commission is increasing its aid to Syria and neighbouring countries by €215 million, as a four-year civil war shows no signs of abating and the suffering of millions of ordinary people - including new refugees - soars.
- 15/07/14 - UN Security Council Resolution on humanitarian access inside Syria "a step forward"
- 14/07/14 - The General Court annuls the restrictive measures imposed on Mr Mohamad Nedal Alchaar solely because of his status as a former Syrian Minister of Economy and Trade
Press and Information General Court of the European Union PRESS RELEASE No 93/14 Luxembourg, 3 July 2014 Judgment in Case T‑ 203/12 Mohamad Nedal Alchaar v Council The Council improperly reversed the burden of proof by holding that it was permissible to presume, without a careful and impartial examination of exculpatory...
- 16/06/14 - Summary of a meeting with more than 40 international CSOs active in Syria held by the operational section of the EU Delegation in Brussels on 9 April 2014 [72 KB]
- 12/06/14 - The General Court annuls the inclusion of Syria International Islamic Bank in the list of entities subject to the restrictive measures against Syria
- 28/05/14 - EU mobilises additional financial support for Lebanese communities hosting Syrian refugees
- 28/05/14 - The silent war: 200.000 Syrians have died due to lack of access to health care
European Commission Statement Brussels, 28 May 2014 The European Commissioner for International Cooperation, Humanitarian Aid and Crisis Response, Kristalina Georgieva, made the following statement: "The report by United Nations Secretary General Ban Ki Moon on the implementation of Resolution 2139 on humanitarian assistance in Syria sadly confirms what we have...
- 09/05/14 - Fact sheet on ENP, issued in occasion of the Europe Day celebration [978 KB]
- 09/05/14 - Fact sheet on the Arab Spring, issued in occasion of the Europe Day celebration [2 MB]
- 03/04/14 - Another tragic milestone as Syrian refugees in Lebanon reach one million
European Commission Statement Brussels, 3 April 2014 Statement by Kristalina Georgieva Commissioner for International Cooperation, Humanitarian Aid and Crisis Response on learning that the number of registered Syrian refugees in Lebanon has now reached 1 million.
- 27/03/14 - ENP Package – Syria
European Commission MEMO Brussels, 27 March 2014 Syria continues to be embroiled in an armed internal conflict that causes far-reaching harm and damage. While all bilateral cooperation with the Syrian regime has been suspended, the EU endeavours to provide direct support, as much as possible in very difficult circumstance, to...
- 24/03/14 - Asylum in the EU28 Large increase to almost 435 000 asylum applicants registered in the EU28 in 2013 Largest group from Syria
- 14/03/14 - EU to provide more funding to fight polio in Syria
- 13/03/14 - SYRIA CRISIS: COMMISSIONER KRISTALINA GEORGIEVA'S VISIT TO REFUGEES IN IRAQ MARKS TRAGIC THIRD ANNIVERSARY
- 13/03/14 - The General Court confirms the entry of Ms Bushra al-Assad, sister of the Syrian President Bashar al-Assad, on the list of persons subject to restrictive measures taken against Syria
- 22/02/14 - SYRIA CRISIS:UNITED NATIONS SECURITY COUNCIL RESOLUTION ADOPTED ON HUMANITARIAN SITUATION
European Commission Statement Brussels, 22 February 2014 Kristalina Georgieva, the EU Commissioner for International Cooperation, Humanitarian Aid and Crisis Response, issued the following statement today: "I have just learnt of the adoption of a UN Security Council Resolution on the humanitarian situation in Syria, which I wholeheartedly welcome.
- 17/02/14 - EU to support the destruction of Syrian chemical stockpiles
- 10/02/14 - The General Court confirms the inclusion of a Lebanese bank in the list of entities subject to the restrictive measures against Syria
Press and Information General Court of the European Union PRESS RELEASE No 13/14 Luxembourg, 4 February 2014 Judgments in Cases T‑174/12 and T-80/13 Syrian Lebanese Commercial Bank v Council Where a notice published in the OJ relates to an act of the EU which itself is published in the OJ, the...
- 16/01/14 - Speech: "We must put the people of Syria first"
- 14/01/14 - Syrian crisis: EU pledges additional funding for humanitarian aid as needs continue to rise
- 08/01/14 - Syria Crisis: More Humanitarian workers killed in Syria
- 18/12/13 - Speech - Statement by President Barroso following the meeting with UN leaders on humanitarian support to Syria
European Commission José Manuel Durão Barroso President of the European Commission Speech - Press point/Brussels 18 December 2013 Good afternoon ladies and gentlemen, I am delighted to welcome Ms Valerie Amos, Under Secretary General and Emergency Relief Coordinator UNOCHA, Mr António Guterres, UN High Commissioner for Refugees, and Mr Anthony...
- 08/12/13 - Syria: A thousand days of crisis
European Commission Press release Brussels, 8 December 2013 On the occasion of the thousandth day of crisis in Syria, Kristalina Georgieva, European Commissioner for International Cooperation, Humanitarian Aid and Crisis Response, made the following statement: "Sadly today marks one thousand days since the start of what has become the most...
- 28/10/13 - Syria crisis: EU delivers on its pledges and mobilises another €85 million for Syria and Jordan
European Commission Press release Brussels, 28 October 2013 The European Commission has allocated another part of the recent package of €400m to deal with the consequences of the Syrian crisis. This newest allocation is aimed at providing assistance to the population inside Syria, Syrian refugees and host communities living in...
- 26/10/13 - Statement by Commissioner Kristalina Georgieva, International Cooperation, Humanitarian Aid and Crisis Response, on suspected polio cases in Syria
European Commission Press release Brussels, 26 October 2013 The World Health Organisation (WHO) received reports that twenty two cases of acute flaccid paralysis (AFP), possibly caused by the poliovirus, have been diagnosed in Deir-ez-zur in Northern Syria.
- 11/10/13 - The EU Children of Peace projects: how the European Union keeps bringing peace closer to those who need it the most
European Commission MEMO Brussels, 11 October 2013 A year ago, the Norwegian Nobel Committee awarded the Nobel Peace Prize to the European Union for its six decades of service to the advancement of peace, reconciliation, democracy and human rights.
- 03/10/13 - Statement by Commissioner Georgieva following the Security Council Presidential Statement
European Commission MEMO Brussels, 3 October 2013 "I welcome the United Nations Presidential Statement regarding the humanitarian situation in Syria. It is a hopeful sign that the international community is firmly coming together to step up pressure on all sides of the conflict to provide unfettered access to the 7...
- 01/10/13 - The Syrian crisis – humanitarian priorities of the European Commission
European Commission Kristalina Georgieva European Commissioner for International Cooperation, Humanitarian Aid and Crisis Response Speech - UNHCR Executive Committee High Level Segment /Geneva 30 September 2013 High Commissioner Guterres, Excellencies, Ladies and Gentlemen, I am very grateful to the Executive Committee of UNHCR for bringing us all here.
- 25/09/13 - Syria: EU biggest donor, leads international aid response, reaching 7 million people in need
European Commission Press release Brussels, 25 September 2013 Responding to the unprecedented humanitarian needs in and around Syria, the EU has so far mobilised almost € 1.8 billion in relief and recovery aid from both the Commission and Member States, making it the largest international contribution accounting for a significant...
- 25/09/13 - Additional €34 million contribution to Syria’s children, as EU becomes largest donor to UNICEF
European Commission MEMO Brussels, 24 September 2013 New York (24 September) – UNICEF and the European Union signed a new cooperation agreement today that provides an additional €34.2 million ($45 million) to protect children affected by the Syria crisis and promote access to learning in Syria, Jordan and Lebanon.
- 10/09/13 - Lebanon: Further support of €58 million to deal with Syria crisis
European Commission Press release Brussels, 10 September 2013 The European Commission has adopted new funding today for a total of €58 million in support of Lebanon. The objective of this newly adopted assistance is to alleviate the impact of the high influx of refugees from Syria.
- 03/09/13 - Statement by Kristalina Georgieva on latest figure of refugees fleeing from the Syrian crisis
European Commission MEMO Brussels, 3 September 2013 "Today it was confirmed that the number of refugees who have fled from the war in Syria into neighbouring countries has reached the appalling milestone of two million. More than half of all those refugees are children.
- 01/08/13 - The EU's bilateral trade and investment agreements – where are we?
European Commission MEMO Brussels, 1 August 2013 Over the next years, 90% of world demand will be generated outside the EU. That is why it is a key priority for the EU to open up more market opportunities for European business by negotiating new Free Trade Agreements with key countries.
- 25/07/13 - Speech: European Neighbourhood Policy – Priorities and Directions for Change
European Commission Štefan Füle European Commissioner for Enlargement and Neighbourhood Policy European Neighbourhood Policy Speech: European Neighbourhood Policy Annual Conference of Polish Ambassadors/ Warsaw, Poland 25 July 2013 Minister, Excellencies, Ladies and Gentlemen, It is a pleasure to be here with you today to exchange views on the priorities and...
- 20/06/13 - Q/A: The European Commission's work to help refugees
European Commission MEMO Brussels, 20 June 2013 Who is a refugee? Every year natural disasters, conflicts and human rights violations force millions of people to leave their homes and to flee to save their lives. Their survival often depends on international assistance and protection.
- 18/06/13 - Joint statement by European Commission President Barroso and European Council President Van Rompuy after the G8 Summit in Lough Erne (UK), 17-18 June 2013
European Commission MEMO Lough Erne, 18 June 2013 European Commission President José Manuel Barroso and European Council President Herman Van Rompuy represented the European Union at this year's G8 summit chaired by UK Prime Minister Cameron in Lough Erne.
- 06/06/13 - Statement by Humanitarian Aid Commissioner Georgieva on new EU funding for Syrian humanitarian crisis
European Commission MEMO Brussels, 6 June 2013 President Barroso's announcement of 400 million euros additional funding for the Syrian humanitarian crisis is not only welcome but timely and urgently needed. Tomorrow the United Nations agencies will launch a fresh appeal for international donations to fund their life-saving activities in Syria...
- 06/06/13 - Statement of President Barroso on Syria
European Commission MEMO Brussels, 6 June 2013 The Syrian crisis is the most dramatic humanitarian situation in the last decade. The international community cannot stand by idly. The EU is already the largest humanitarian donor for the crisis with more than 840 million euros.
- 05/06/13 - President Barroso defends unrestricted and unconditional humanitarian access in Syria in summit with Russia
European Commission MEMO Brussels, 5 June 2013 At the EU-Russia Summit, President Barroso said: "The European Commission is a major donor of humanitarian aid to the Syrian crisis. Indeed the European Union, Commission plus Member States, are by far the biggest donor of humanitarian aid to the refugees coming from...
- 04/06/13 - Statement by Commissioner Füle following his visit to the Zaatari refugee Camp
European Commission MEMO Amman, 4 June 2013 ''It is a pleasure to be part of this signing ceremony. The signature for the financing of this important project is a significant step in providing education to the children of Syrian refugees in Zaatari camp.
- 03/06/13 - Jordan: EU provides new support to deal with Syrian refugee crisis
European Commission Press release Brussels/Amman, 3 June 2013 The European Commission will provide additional assistance of €50 million to Jordan to alleviate the impact of the high influx of refugees from Syria, Commissioner for Enlargement and European Neighbourhood Policy, Štefan Füle, announced today during his visit to Amman.
- 03/06/13 - Statement by Commissioner Kristalina Georgieva, European Commissioner for International Cooperation, Humanitarian Aid and Crisis Response on the situation in Al Qusayr
European Commission MEMO Brussels, 3 June 2013 I have been following with increasing alarm the rapidly deteriorating situation in recent days in the town of Al Qusayr in Syria. This is being billed in the international media as a defining moment in the Syrian civil war, which has now claimed...
- 29/05/13 - With Commissioner General of UNRWA about Palestinian refugees and Syrian crisis
European Commission MEMO Brussels, 29 May 2013 The situation of the Palestinian refugees in the context of the Syrian crisis was the main topic discussed by Commissioner for Enlargement and European Neighbourhood Policy Štefan Füle with the Commissioner-General of UNRWA Filippo Grandi during their meeting in Brussels today.
- 27/05/13 - President Barroso discusses Syria crisis with leading UN officials
European Commission MEMO Brussels, 27 May 2013 Today President José Manuel Barroso met Mr. António Guterres, UN High Commissioner for Refugees, Baroness Valerie Amos, UN Under-Secretary-General for Humanitarian Affairs and Emergency Relief Coordinator, and Mrs. Etharin Cousin, Executive Director of the UN World Food Programme.
- 22/05/13 - Speech - Remarks by EU Commissioner Štefan Füle on behalf of HRVP Catherine Ashton on the situation of Syrian refugees in neighbouring countries
European Commission Catherine Ashton EU High Representative for Foreign Affairs and Security Policy and Vice President of the European Commission Speech - European Parliament/Strasbourg 22 May 2013 President, Honourable Members, This is a crisis that has brought unspeakable suffering to the people of Syria and that has already gone beyond...
- 22/05/13 - The Syria Conference: last exit peace?
- 12/05/13 - Syria crisis: the EU responds to spiralling needs with more emergency humanitarian aid
European Commission Press release Brussels, 12 May 2013 The European Commission is announcing today an additional €65 million in response to the rapidly growing scale of the humanitarian crisis resulting from the conflict in Syria.
- 23/04/13 - Lebanon: EU allocates additional financial support for refugee crisis
European Commission Press release Brussels, 23 April 2013 The European Commission has adopted a decision to provide additional financial support to Lebanon to mitigate the impact of the Syrian crisis in the country. Commissioner for Enlargement and European Neighbourhood, Policy Štefan Füle, said: “Lebanon receives the highest number of people...
- 27/03/13 - The EU releases further assistance to support Palestinian people and refugees
European Commission Press release Brussels, 27 March 2013 The European Union has today adopted the second part of its 2013 assistance package for Palestine. It will ensure that critical support to the Palestinian Authority (PA) and United Nations Relief and Works Agency for Palestine Refugees in the Near East (UNRWA)...
- 26/03/13 - Chemical weapon use in Syria? - by Jean Pascal Zanders
- 20/03/13 - Commissioner Cecilia Malmström welcomes the announcement by Germany to resettle 5000 Syrian nationals
European Commission MEMO Brussels, 20 March 2013 "I have been in contact today by phone with the German Federal Minister of the Interior, Hans-Peter Friedrich, who informed me of Germany's intention to resettle 5000 Syrian nationals in need of shelter in the coming months.
- 20/03/13 - Speech: Presentation of the European Neighbourhood Policy package
European Commission Štefan Füle European Commissioner for Enlargement and Neighbourhood Policy Speech: European Parliament Foreign Affairs Committee, Brussels 20 March 2013 Mr Chairman, Honourable Members, I am delighted to be able to come directly to you from today's meeting of the Commission where we adopted this year's set of reports...
- 20/03/13 - ENP Package – Syria
European Commission MEMO Brussels, 20 March 2013 Syria continues to be embroiled in an armed internal conflict that causes far-reaching harm and damage. While all bilateral cooperation with the Syrian regime has been suspended, the Syrian population further benefits from EU assistance, especially the large-scale humanitarian aid.
- 20/03/13 - European Neighbourhood Policy in 2012: Continuing engagement for a stronger cooperation with neighbours despite turbulent political and economic conditions
Commission Press release Brussels, 20 March 2013 European The cooperation of the EU with its partner countries is stronger and is delivering positive results, indicate the country and regional reports on the progress of the European Neighbourhood Policy (ENP) in 2012 published today.
- 19/03/13 - European Neighbourhood Policy (ENP) - Fact Sheet
Commission MEMO Brussels, 19 March 2013 European What is the European Neighbourhood Policy? The European Neighbourhood Policy (ENP) was developed in 2004, with the objective of avoiding the emergence of new dividing lines between the enlarged EU and our neighbours and instead strengthening the prosperity, stability and security of all.
- 07/03/13 - Statement by the Spokesperson of EU High Representative Catherine Ashton on the detention of UN peacekeepers by an armed opposition group in Syria
- 05/03/13 - Press points by Neighbourhood Commissioner Füle at the end of his Lebanon visit
European Commission MEMO Brussels, 5 March 2013 I have had very good discussions with Prime Minister Miqati, President Sleiman, with the Ministers of Foreign Affairs and Social Affairs as well as with representatives of civil society and UN agencies yesterday and today.
- 05/03/13 - Lebanon: European Commission provides €30m more to deal with refugee crisis
European Commission Press release Brussels, 5 March 2013 The European Commission will provide an additional €30 million to Lebanon to alleviate the impact of the high influx of refugees from Syria, Commissioner for Enlargement and European Neighbourhood Policy Štefan Füle announced during his visit to Beirut.
- 01/03/13 - Neighbourhood Commissioner Füle visiting Lebanon on 4-5 March
European Commission Brussels, 1 March 2013 Š. Füle visiting Lebanon on 4-5 March Commissioner for Enlargement and European Neighbourhood Policy Štefan Füle will visit Lebanon on 4th and 5th March. During his stay in Beirut he will meet President Michel Sleiman and Prime Minister Najib Miqati as well as representatives...
- 30/01/13 - Speech: A collective effort to support the victims of Syria's crisis – the European Union's humanitarian work
European Commission Kristalina Georgieva European Commissioner for international cooperation, humanitarian aid and crisis response Speech: Kuwait pledging conference for the Syria crisis Kuwait City ,30 January 2013 Exellencies, ladies and gentlemen, I would like to thank you, Your Highness Amir SABAH al-Ahmad al-Jaber al-Sabah and Secretary-General BAN KI-Moon and, for...
- 29/01/13 - Syrian crisis: EU pledges €100 million for humanitarian aid
European Commission Press release Brussels, 29 January 2013 The European Commission will pledge €100 million of humanitarian funding at the International Pledging Conference for Syria convened by UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon and hosted by Kuwait on 30 January.
- 16/01/13 - Statement by Commissioner Kristalina Georgieva on the deteriorating humanitarian situation in Syria
European Commission MEMO Brussels, 16 January 2013 "I am appalled by the deteriorating situation in Syria and its effect on the suffering people of that country. Over the past weeks, fighting has increased and the conflict is spreading even further. Prices of basic commodities like bread and fuel have sky-rocketed.
- 15/01/13 - New European Union assistance for the Palestinian people
European Commission Press release Brussels, 15 January 2013 The European Union has decided to bring forward the first part of its 2013 assistance package for the Palestinian people to the beginning of the year in order to ensure that the support to the Palestinian Authority (PA) and United Nations Relief...