No deal in latest Sudan, S Sudan talks (05/04/2012)
(AFP) Sudan and South Sudan exchange accusations over failure of peace talks to resolve armed conflict in a contested oil-rich border region Sudan and South Sudan failed Wednesday to hammer out an agreement to resolve disputes that sparked an eruption of heavy fighting in a contested oil-rich border region last week. South Sudan accused Khartoum's delegation of walking out of the latest round of African Union-led crisis talks, but a Sudanese minister voiced confidence that a deal will be signed when negotiations resume next week. "They have literally walked out... We are ready to sign but Khartoum ran," South Sudan's lead negotiator Pagan Amum told AFP hours after the Sudanese delegation left Addis Ababa. Amum said the mood between the two negotiating teams was "not good" as the talks closed. However, Sudan's Interior Minister Ibrahim Mahmoud said they were committed to bringing a halt to the fighting. Mahmoud said they will resume talks next week and voiced hope that they will yield a "concrete commitment from both of us that we will stop any support for any (rebel) groups". Chief mediator and former South African president Thabo Mbeki will visit Khartoum and Juba before talks resume, Mahmoud added. "Mbeki will go to Khartoum and Juba to narrow the gap," he said, without giving any date for next week's talks.