Delegation to Papua New Guinea
22/05/2015 - JOINT INTERNATIONAL OBSERVER MEDIA STATEMENT: 2015 Autonomous Bougainville Government Election
An international observer group observed the polling period of the 2015 Autonomous Region of Bougainville’s Election following an invitation from the Papua New Guinea and Autonomous Bougainville Governments.
Despite recent claims to the contrary, the European Union remains firmly committed to Economic Partnership in the Pacific.
In September 2004, the European Union started negotiations for an Economic Partnership Agreement (EPA) with the Pacific region. More than ten years later, negotiations are still far from conclusion.
Insurance penetration as a percentage of Gross Domestic Product (GDP) in Papua New Guinea (PNG) is considerably low at below 2 percent, in comparison to the global average of 7.5 percent. So much so, that to date, the percentage of people in PNG benefiting from life, health, accident or disability insurance is typically less than 5 percent.
This is where micro-insurance can be an insurance solution for people to overcome the obstacle of high fees in traditional insurance products. It is characterized by low premiums and low coverage limits and designed for low-income customers normally not served by social or commercial insurance schemes.
Working together in Papua New Guinea
An estimated 4.2 M Papua New Guineans (61 % of the population) do not have access to safe water and 3.8 M (55 %) do not have access to improved sanitation.
- 28/05/15 - First measures under the European Agenda on Migration: Questions and Answers
European Commission - Fact Sheet Brussels, 27 May 2015 What is the European Agenda on Migration? Migration is one of the ten political priorities of this Commission. The European Agenda on Migration, adopted on 13 May 2015 develops the political guidelines of President Juncker into tailored initiatives aimed at managing...
- 27/05/15 - EU-Japan relations and the 23rd EU-Japan Summit
- 27/05/15 - European Commission makes progress on Agenda on Migration
- Press release European Commission Brussels, 27 May 2015 Two weeks after presenting the European Agenda on Migration, the Commission is today adopting the first proposals of its comprehensive approach to improving the management of migration.
- 26/05/15 - The EU boosts its support to recovery and development in the Central African Republic
European Commission - Press release Brussels, 26 May 2015 The European Union, already a major partner of the Central African Republic (CAR), is increasing its financial support to the country which is still living with the impact of recent conflict.