Political & economic relations
European Union – Guyana Cooperation
The strategic objectives of cooperation between the European Union and Guyana are two-fold:
- Development of a strong mutually beneficial partnership on the international scene where the two partners will work together towards the shared ideals of democracy and human rights in the fight against poverty and global threats to peace, security;
- Via EU assistance, enhancing Guyana's reform and development agenda to strengthen progress towards achievement of Guyana's national goals and objectives.
In enhancing Guyana's own reform and development agenda, the objectives of the EU's approach are based on three dimensions:
- Shaping a political partnership based on shared values;
- Addressing economic and environmental opportunities and vulnerabilities;
- Promoting social cohesion and combating poverty.
The strategic and programming framework to facilitate Guyana-EU cooperation for the period 2008 to 2013 is articulated in the 10th EDF Country Strategy Paper (CSP) and National Indicative Programme (NIP). The 10th EDF CSP has identified two priority areas of support:
- Contribution to Guyana's Sector Policy on Coastal Management (support to the maintenance and strengthening of Guyana's Sea Defences);
- Macroeconomic support to assist the Government in the implementation for the Poverty Reduction Strategy Paper [4 MB] (PRSP) and to achieve the Millennium Development Goals (MDG).
In addition the EU provides technical assistance to the Government of Guyana, non-state actors and other stakeholder groups involved in promoting and advancing good governance. Under the EDF the EU provides funding for a technical cooperation facility to support studies, seminars, training and conferences. Furthermore, the EU supports the Guyanese sugar industry and the implementation of Guyana's Action Plan on Sugar to generate economic growth by bringing about sustainable improvements in the competitiveness of the industry and of the non-traditional agricultural sub-sectors.
Under the 10th EDF NIP, Guyana has been allocated a total amount of € 55.4 million.