A key element of our cooperation is the development of closer scientific ties between Egypt and the European Research Area through increased Egyptian participation in the Framework Programme for Research and Technological Development. The cooperation between the European Commission and Egypt in science and technology (S&T) is guided by:
1. The European Neighbourhood Policy (ENP) Action Plan, action 2.5 on Science and Technology, Research and Development - signed in 2007
The principle objectives underlying roadmap are the following:
- Develop closed scientific links between Egypt and the European Research Area through increased Egyptian participation in the Framework Programme for Research and Technological Development.
- Develop the scientific and technological capacity with a focus on the use of research results by the industrial and small-medium enterprise sector.
- Promote the integration of Egypt into high-level exchanges.
2. The EC-Egypt Agreement for Scientific and Technological Cooperation, Road Map - signed in 2005
The rolling Road Map of the EC-Egypt Science and Technology Agreement identifies research priorities and specific areas of mutual interest for further cooperation. Renewable energy, environment (water and climate change), health, agriculture, food, and information and communication technologies have been identified as key research areas.
In addition to FP7, other financial assistance for the support EC-Egypt S&T cooperation is provided by the European Neighbourhood and Partnership Instrument (ENPI).
The following programmes have been funded by the MEDA/ENPI:
- Bilateral: RESEARCH, DEVELOPMENT AND INNOVATION PROGRAMME (RDI)
- Regional: MEDIBTIKAR (Euro-Med Innovation and Technology Programme)
- The seventh framework programme for research and technological development (fp7)
- Egypt in the framework programme for research and technological development
- EU Member states activities in egypt
- National s&t initiatives