How to apply
Applications must include:
1. Sample of work
• Applicants are invited to submit a sample of their work, in English or French (published or not), focusing on a current issue facing the European Union or European Union-Canada relations. In terms of format, the work may be either written (a news story or opinion piece of maximum 1,000 words, previously published or not) or audiovisual (a report of up to 90 seconds duration, previously aired or not).
• The jury will pay particular attention to journalistic qualities and talent, including rigorous research and factual accuracy.
2. Letter of motivation
• Applicants must write a letter of motivation clearly outlining specific topics they plan to write about during/upon return from Europe and where their work will appear (media outlet, social media, blog etc.)
• Winners will have complete editorial independence and, while the Delegation and the Canadian Association of Journalists will retain the right to publish/reproduce their work to promote the program in future years, applicants will maintain intellectual property rights of their work. • The letter should also include the reasons for applying and the anticipated benefits to be derived from participation in the study trip.
3. Curriculum vitae
4. Proof of Canadian citizenship or permanent resident status
The closing date for applications is 4 May 2015
Please note that incomplete applications, i.e. applications not containing all of the above documents submitted at the same time, will not be considered.
For audio-visual entries, please send online link by e-mail or USB by mail with the application.
Applications are to be sent either by e-mail to DELEGATION-CANADA-POL@eeas.europa.eu or by mail to the following address:
Delegation of the European Union to Canada
Ms. Mélina Chimal Pilon
Ref.: EU-Canada Young Journalist Award
150 Metcalfe Street,
Suite 1900 Ottawa, Ontario K2P 1P1
Back to Young Journalist Fellowship