Commissioner Geoghegan-Quinn in Australia
European Commissioner for Research, Innovation and Science, Máire Geoghegan-Quinn, visited Australia from 4-8 March 2012. During her visit, the Commissioner met with leaders in government, research and academia, to look at ways to expand and deepen collaboration on research and innovation.
In Australia (4-8 March), Commissioner Geoghegan-Quinn met with the Australian Minister for Science and Research, Senator Chris Evans, to discuss the current cooperation and the prospects for increasing collaboration on new research and innovation and with Professor Ian Chubb, Australia's Chief Scientist, to exchange views on issues such as increasing public trust in research and innovation and encouraging international cooperation to address global societal challenges.
The Commissioner also visited the Australian Microscopy and Microanalysis Research Facility, the Sydney Institute for Marine Sciences and the CSIRO High Resolution Plant Phenomics Centre, and gave a key note address at the annual conference of Universities Australia. [link to speech [59 KB] ]
|Maire Geoghegan-Quinn visit to Australia|
Monday 5 March 2012 - Sydney
- Tour of Australian Microscopy and Microanalysis Research Facility
- Speech to Innovation and Commercialisation Showcase
- Tour of the Sydney Institute of Marine Sciences
Tuesday 6 March 2012 - Sydney/Canberra
- Tour of Thales Australia Facility, Garden Island
- Meeting with Senator Christopher Evans, Australian Minister for Tertiary Education, Skills, Science and Research
- Tour of the National Gallery of Australia
Wednesday 7 March 2012 - Canberra
- Tour of the CSIRO High Resolution Plant Phenomics Centre
- Meeting with Australia's Chief Scientist, Professor Ian Chubb
- Speech at Universities Australia Higher Education Conference
For more information on EU research and innovation see: http://ec.europa.eu/research/home.cfm
For more information on Commissioner Geoghegan-Quinn see: http://ec.europa.eu/commission_2010-2014/geoghegan-quinn/index_en.htm
Commissioner Geoghegan-Quinn: Keynote speech Universities Australia Higher Education Conference "Strengthening EU-Australia cooperation in research and innovation: the role of universities [59 KB] "
University of Sydney - Micro visit by EU Commissioner
Universities Australia Higher Education Conference - Commissioner Geoghegan-Quinn Keynote Speaker: http://www.universitiesaustralia.edu.au/conference
Videolink: Commissioner Geoghegan-Quinn speaking to agriculture conference 5 March 2012, download here:
MPG2: http://c14005-o.l.core.cdn.streamfarm.net/findmedia/10/83550/MP2_83550W.mpg OR