The Delegation of the European Union in Australia is celebrating the news that Europe has helped successfully put a crucial piece of the National Broadband Network into orbit. The NBN satellite, known as Sky Muster, has blasted into space after taking off from Europe's Spaceport at Kourou in French Guinea. The Charge d'Affaires of the European Union in Australia, Bruno Scholl, said the launch was yet another example of European innovation and technology helping Australia. "Sky Muster will provide fast broadband services to more than 200,000 Australians," Dr Scholl said.
Upon invitation of Foreign Minister Julie Bishop, EU Ambassador Sem Fabrizi participated in an in camera panel discussion with members of the Coalition Party Room at Parliament House regarding the humanitarian crisis in Syria and the migratory pressures on neighbouring states and the European Union.
Representatives from the European Union and its Member States have jumped on their bikes to promote the "Windows to the World" initiative which starts this weekend.
More than 40 embassies will open to the public over the next four weekends as part of the "Windows to the World" initiative.
- 26/08/15 - Climatic event: Hedegaard talks renewables in Canberra
A world voice in the international climate debate, Connie Hedegaard, will speak in Canberra on Thursday, 27 August at the Global Renewables Forum. Ms Hedegaard will be sharing her deep insight and global experience with the renewable energy industry and associated partners at the Global Renewables Forum, which is a joint initiative of the SERREE Industry Cluster, the Royal Danish Embassy and the Delegation of the European Union in Australia.
- 25/08/15 - EU Ambassador describes 2015 as a "decisive moment in the global fight against climate change"
H.E. Sem Fabrizi has spoken of the need for all nations to work together to cut carbon emissions for political, moral and economic reasons. The Ambassador was addressing an event in Sydney on 24 August 2015 which also heard from former-EU climate action commissioner Connie Hedegaard. You can read the Ambassador's speech below.
- 18/08/15 - My EABC remarks
The European Australian Business Council invited the European Union Ambassador, Sem Fabrizi, to speak at a lunch and forum held at Parliament House in Sydney on Monday, 17 August 2015. The event was attended by Pascal Lamy who is President Emeritus of the Jacques Delors Institute, Notre Europe, as well as a former Director-General of the WTO. Ambassador Fabrizi made the following remarks.
- 14/08/15 - Deputy Leader and members of the Shadow Cabinet of the Opposition meet with EU Ambassadors
Deputy Leader of the Opposition and Shadow Foreign Minister the Hon Tanya Plibersek; the Hon Mark Dreyfus QC, Shadow Attorney General, Shadow Minister for Environment, Climate Change and Water the Hon Mark Butler, and the Hon Matt Thistlethwaite, Shadow Parliamentary Secretary for Foreign Affairs and Shadow Parliamentary Secretary for Immigration had an informal and open exchange at the Residence of the EU Ambassador to Australia H.E. Sem Fabrizi with the Ambassadors of EU member states on key topics of concern for the EU and Australia.
- 13/08/15 - Gender equality and the SDGs at Parliament House
- 05/08/15 - Parliament House public forum: Gender and the Post-2015 development agenda
A public forum will be held at Parliament House in Canberra on August 10 to discuss the post-2015 development agenda.The European Union's Ambassador to Australia H.E Sem Fabrizi together with the Chair of the United Nations Parliamentary Group the Hon Sharman Stone and the High Commissioner of Pakistan, H.E Naela Chohan will be dicussing gender in development, foreign aid.The members of the United Nations are meeting in September in New York to finalise the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs). This event will explore gender equality in the context of the new global post-2015 development agenda, from the perspectives of the EU, Pakistan and Australia.
- 16/07/15 - Energy Union drives efficiency
- 08/07/15 - EuroScience week at Questacon
- 26/06/15 - Statement by the High Representative/Vice-President Frederica Mogherini on the occasion of the United Nations International Day in Support of Victims of Torture, 26 June 2014
- 19/06/15 - EU Qantas Journalism Awards 2015
Journalists are invited to apply for the 2015 European Union-QANTAS Journalist Award.The award is open to an Australian journalist with more than three years working experience in print or electronic media. They will need to satisfy the selection panel that he or she would benefit from a working visit to the European Union institutions and two to three Member States. While the subject of the project proposal is open to the journalist's particular interests, it must be based on European themes relevant to an Australian audience.
- 01/06/15 - Ready to roll: European film event calls for climate action
The European Union and its Member States will put on a simultaneous "climate" event in seven major cities throughout Australia.These events are part of the "European Climate Diplomacy Day" taking place worldwide on the 17th of June 2015 to promote informed debate about climate change in the lead up to this year's decisive meeting at Paris in December.The French capital will host the United Nations 2015 Conference of Parties which is aiming to limit global temperature rises to below 2 degrees Celsius.
- 27/05/15 - EU Ambassadors pen call for ambitious climate targets
Writing in the Australian Financial Review on 26 May, 2015 the 26 Ambassadors of the European Union and its Member States have penned a letter which focuses on the common goals of Australia and the EU for the Climate talks set to happen in Paris, France at the end of 2015.
- 27/05/15 - EU's bold agenda to deal with migrants taking on the Mediterranean
The EU has launched a comprehensive plan to save lives and secure external borders, with a strong asylum policy and a new policy on legal migration.The EU is determined to turn "low risk, high return" criminal operations into "high risk, low return" ventures, while continuing to apply the most rigorous asylum policy standards in line with the Geneva Convention which prohibits "non-refoulement" - the expulsion or return of a refugee to where his life or freedom would be threatened.
- 18/05/15 - Ambassador Sem Fabrizi Europe Day speech
08 May 2015 - Ambassador Sem Fabrizi - Europe Day Speech, National Arboretum Canberra
- 12/05/15 - EU Ambassador to Australia launches Climate exhibition 'Ice Texts' at the National Arboretum [9 May – 9 June]
On May 8 at the National Arboretum in Canberra the Ambassador of the European Union to Australia, H.E. Sem Fabrizi seized the occasion of the annual 'Europe Day' celebrations to launch the climate related exhibition 'Ice Texts' in presence of the Artist David Buckland. The exhibition is open to the public until 9 June.
- 29/04/15 - EU Delegation to Australia Newsletter 405
- 23/04/15 - EU-Australia towards a closer partnership
"This is a moment when Australia and the European Union are standing up for the values we share," emphasised Australia's Foreign Minister Julie Bishop upon her visit to Brussels as she and High Representative of the European External Action Service Federica Mogherini met on 22 April.
- 17/04/15 - EU remains world's largest aid donor
- 15/04/15 - Applications open for the European Visitors Programme
- 13/04/15 - Media Release : EU Ambassadors and PM Abbott discuss deepening EU/Australia relations
On 12 April the Ambassador of the European Union to Australia H.E. Sem Fabrizi welcomed the Australian Prime Minister The Hon. Tony Abbott MP to a dinner at the EU Residence together with the Ambassadors of the EU Member States represented in Canberra.
This was an opportunity to discuss, in an informal and friendly atmosphere, the opportunities for deepening further the strong partnership between the European Union and Australia.
- 13/04/15 - EU Delegation to Australia Newsletter 404
- 20/03/15 - EU Delegation to Australia Newsletter 403
- 26/02/15 - EU Delegation to Australia Newsletter 402
- 16/02/15 - EU Ambassador briefs the Parliament's JSCFDT
EU Ambassador briefs the Parliament's Joint Standing Committee on Foreign Affairs, Defence and TradeOn 11 February, EU Ambassador H.E. Sem Fabrizi briefed the Australian Parliament's Joint standing Committee on Foreign Affairs, Defence and Trade. In his opening remarks, he addressed economic and geo-strategic state of affairs in the European Union, the perspectives for deepening EU-Australian relations and common international challenges for the EU and Australia such as Counter Terrorism and Security in Europe and the Asia-Pacific. [read more]...
- 12/02/15 - Media Release : EU Village at the National Multicultural Festival, Saturday 14 February 2015
On Saturday, 14th February, we are delighted to welcome you to the EU Village, which will be located in Civic Square in front of the Canberra Theatre. Our marquee will house 24 EU Member States* as well as the EU Delegation. We invite you to come and explore a little bit of Europe, take the popular EU Quiz and earn yourself an EU memento.
- 09/02/15 - EU Delegation to Australia Newsletter 401
- 06/02/15 - Australian European University Institute Fellowships Association Inc
Applications are now invited for Australian European University Institute Fellowships which provide the opportunity to carry out research at the European University Institute in Florence – the high profile research institute established by the Member States of the founding European Communities in 1972. [read more]...
- 16/01/15 - EU Delegation to Australia Newsletter 400
- 15/01/15 - The EU Ambassador's message for 2015
2015 will be another important year for the European Union and Australia partnership. With a new leadership team in the European Union and a number of important upcoming initiatives and events, there will be a continued dynamism in the of EU-Australian relations. [read more]...
- 09/01/15 - Press release on the nomination of Alain Le Roy as Secretary General of the EEAS.
The High Representative / Vice President Federica Mogherini appointed Mr Alain Le Roy as the new Secretary General of the EEAS. [read more]...
- EU Delegation to Australia Newsletter 406
- Media Release : Towards a closer EU-Australia Partnership