Illicit small arms and light weapons, anti-personnel landmines and explosive remnants of war represent a major threat to stability and security in many countries.
- kill and maim innocent civilians, many of them children
- create a climate of fear and apprehension
- destroy trust between communities
- fuel crime and terrorism
- hold back sustainable development.
Our main tools in fighting this scourge are:
- supporting international efforts to control the flow of arms and to ban certain types of weapons outright
- helping affected states and communities to disrupt uncontrolled proliferation of small arms and trafficking operations
- assisting victims.
For more information see the sections on Small Arms and Light Weapons and Mine Action .