Frequently Asked Questions on the Schengen visa-free regime for citizens of the Republic of Moldova

Frequently Asked Questions on the Schengen visa-free regime for citizens of the Republic of Moldova

1. What documents are needed in order enjoy visa-free travel to the Schengen area?

A valid biometric passport is required, which should be valid for at least three months after yourscheduled return. Your passport needs to have this logo:

2. May I enter the Schengen area more than one time during 90 days in any 180-days period?

Yes, you may. However you must not exceed the overall total of 90 (ninety) days of stay within any 180-days period. The length of authorized stay in the Schengen area can be determined through the use of the 'calculator' which can be found at the following internet address:

The manual for the calculator can be found here:

With the help of the calculator ("planning" mode) – based on previous entries and exits of the traveler to the Schengen area – it is possible to compute the maximum length of stay allowed from any particular day in the future.

3. Will the exemption apply to all types of passports?

The visa exemption applies to all biometric passports. Diplomatic and biometric service passports are already visa-waived under the provisions of the amended Visa Facilitation Agreement between the Republic of Moldova and the EU.

4.  In which States does the visa exemption apply?

The visa-free regime applies to travels to the territories of all EU Member States, except for the United Kingdom and Ireland.

The States covered by the visa exemption are:

  • the EU Member States which are part of the Schengen area: Portugal, Spain, France, Germany, Belgium, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Italy, Denmark, Sweden, Finland, Austria, Greece, Poland, Slovakia, Slovenia, Hungary, the Czech Republic, Latvia, Lithuania, Estonia and Malta;
  • the EU Member States which are not yet part of the Schengen area without internal borders: at present Cyprus, Croatia, Romania and Bulgaria;
  • the associated Schengen States: Iceland, Liechtenstein, Norway and Switzerland.

5.  Does the visa-free regime give you the right to enter unconditionally the territory of the Member States?

The visa exemption gives a right of entry and short stay, but this right is subject to basic conditions (as for any country benefitting from the visa exemption). The Member States have the right to refuse entry into, and short stay in, their territories if one or more of the Schengen entry conditions are not met. For stays not exceeding 90 days in any 180-day period, these entry and short-stay conditions are the following:

(a) to be in possession of a valid travel document or documents authorising them to cross the border;

(b) to be able to justify the purpose and conditions of the intended stay, and to have sufficient means of subsistence, both for the duration of the intended stay and for the return;

(c) not to be a person for whom an alert has been issued in the Schengen Information System for the purposes of refusing entry;

(d) not to be considered a threat to public policy, internal security, public health or the international relations of any of the Member States.

6. Refusal of entry

If entry is refused to one of the Member States on the basis of the lack of fulfilment of one or more of the Schengen entry conditions, the third-country national shall be issued with a substantiated written decision on a standard form, stating the precise reasons for the refusal. The completed form shall be handed over to the third-country national concerned, who shall acknowledge receipt of the decision.

Persons refused entry have the right to appeal. Such appeals shall be conducted in accordance with the national law of the Member State which has refused entry. In this regard, a written indication of contact points providing information on representatives competent to act on behalf of the third-country national shall also be given to the person concerned.

Lodging such an appeal shall not have suspensive effect on a decision to refuse entry.

For more information, you may check Council Regulation 562/2006 on the rules governing the movement of persons across borders (Schengen Borders Code):

7.  What documents do I need to show to the immigration officer at the port of entry?

You need to show your biometric passport.

The immigration officer may also ask to show: flight tickets for your journey, including return tickets; evidence of sufficient means of subsistence; reservation of accommodation, if relevant; invitation letter in case of visits, conferences; school enrollment certificate in case of study; etc.

8. How much money do I need to have with me in order to travel as a tourist to the Schengen area?

According to Article 5(3) of the Schengen Border Code; "means of subsistence shall be assessed in accordance with the duration and the purpose of the stay and by reference to average prices in the Member State(s)[1]concerned for board and lodging in budget accommodation, multiplied by the number of days stayed."

The verification that the third-country national concerned has sufficient means of subsistence for the duration and purpose of the intended stay, for his/her return to the country of origin or transit to a third country (if no travel tickets have been bought in advance) or that he/she can obtain these means legally (e.g. by using his/her credit card). In order to assess the means of subsistence, reference amountshave been set by each Schengen State, which can be consulted at: .

The verification of sufficient means of subsistence may be based on cash, travellers' cheques and credit cards in the third‑country national's possession. Declarations of sponsorships, where such declarations are provided for by national legislation and letters of guarantee/invitation from hosts, as defined by national legislation, in case the third-country national is staying with a host, may also constitute evidence of sufficient means of subsistence.

The validity of a credit card can be verified by contacting the issuing company or by using other facilities available at the border crossing point (e.g. exchange offices).

Invitation from hosts can be verified by contacting the host directly or by verifying the host's good faith through the national contact points of the MS of residence of the host.

9.  Is a travel medical insurance always necessary in order to travel in Schengen area?

A travel medical insurance is not mandatory for visa-free third country nationals. Nonetheless, it is recommended to get one in case of travel to the Schengen countries.

10.  Is it always necessary to have a return ticket before entering the Schengen area?

It is recommended when travelling by air/train/bus to have a return ticket. However, it is not an obligation.

11.  Do I need a visa to work in the Schengen area for less than three months?

Yes, most of the Member States require a visa and a work permit if you intend to work, even if it is for less than three months.

Further information is available on the following link:

12.  If I plan to visit a friend or relative living in the Schengen area will I need to provide any specific information on this person at the border?

You may be asked to provide information on this person. It is recommended to have at least the address and contact number.

13.  Will I need a visa to visit any Member State of the Schengen area for business, such as attending meetings, a training course, or an exhibition for short stay?


14.  Will I need to apply for a visa / study permit if I plan to travel to the Schengen area for short-term studies?

You will need to apply for a study permit only in case you intend to undertake studies exceeding 90 days of stay in the Schengen area within any period of 180 days. The rules vary from country to country. Therefore it is recommended to consult the Embassy/Consulate of the country you intend to study in prior to starting your studies.

15.  Will all the different authorities of the Members of the Schengen area be informed of these changes?


16.  Once the visa-free regime applies, are there any restrictions related to travel from one Schengen country to another?

There is no border control between Schengen countries. There are still border controls between the Schengen countries and Cyprus, Croatia, Bulgaria and Romania. Citizens of the Republic of Moldova are obliged always to carry their passport with them at all time during their stay, as national legislations might foresee ad-hoc controls in the Schengen area.

17. If I stay more than 90 days (wihtout a residence permit or a long term visa) or work in the Schengen area (without a working permit), what can happen?

Staying more than 90 days in any 180-day period can result in a re-entry ban to the Schengen area. Working in the Schengen area without a work permit is illegal (even if less than 90 days) and can likewise result in a re-entry ban to the Schengen area.

Back to