Valletta Summit on migration
EU News 328/2015
The Valletta summit on migration brought together European and African Heads of State and Government in an effort to strengthen cooperation and address the current challenges but also the opportunities of migration.
Highlights of the press conference following the Valletta Summit on migration
It recognised that migration is a shared responsibility of countries of origin, transit and destination. EU and Africa worked in a spirit of partnership to find common solutions to challenges of mutual interest.
Leaders participating to the summit adopted a political declaration and an action plan designed to:
1. address the root causes of irregular migration and forced displacement
2. enhance cooperation on legal migration and mobility
3. reinforce the protection of migrants and asylum seekers
4. prevent and fight irregular migration, migrant smuggling and trafficking in human beings
5. work more closely to improve cooperation on return, readmission and reintegration
They also agreed a list of 16 very concrete actions to be implemented by the end of 2016.
Source and additional information:
Valletta Summit. Donald Tusk, on the right, and Jean-Claude Juncker Date: 11/11/2015 Reference: P-029319/00-42 Location: Valletta (C)EU, 2015 URL