Results of a phone conversation between the President of Ukraine Viktor Yanukovych and the President of the European Commission José Manuel Barroso
EU News 499/2013
Brussels, 2 December 2013
Today President Yanukovych of Ukraine called the President of the European Commission, José Manuel Barroso.
During the call, the President of the Commission made the following points regarding the current tense situation in Ukraine:
1. all sides should show restraint;
2. all civil rights and liberties should be respected;
3. the use of force by the police should be investigated as soon as possible;
4. it is important that the Ukrainian authorities urgently engage with all relevant political forces;
5. a peaceful and political solution is the only way for Ukraine out of the current situation.
President Yanukovych agreed with this approach and explicitly confirmed the intention to investigate into the use of force by the Ukrainian police and to inform the public about the results.
Source and additional information:
File Photo: Herman van Rompuy, Viktor Yanukovych and José Manuel Barroso Date: 24/09/2013 Reference: P-023850/00-09 Location: New York (C)EU, 2013 URL