European Council: Main results - 28 June 2016
EU News 233/2016
The European Council meeting focused on the political consequences of the UK referendum. The leaders also addressed other pressing issues: tackling the migratory crisis, deepening of the single market to boost growth and jobs, and enhancing the security of the EU by working more closely with NATO.
Outcome of the UK referendum
The European Council meeting focused on the political consequences of the UK referendum. Prime Minister David Cameron presented the situation in the country after the vote and undertook that the decision to trigger article 50 of the Treaty on European Union would be taken by the new leadership in Britain.
EU leaders focused on the Central Mediterranean route, where flows of predominantly economic migrants remain at the same level as last year. They highlighted the need for a partnership framework of cooperation with individual countries of origin or transit, focusing on:
- pursuing results on fast and operational returns of irregular migrants
- applying the necessary leverage by using all relevant EU policies
- also mobilising elements falling within member states' competence and seeking synergies with member states in relations with specific countries
Jobs, growth and investment
Leaders said all the actions and strategies related to the single market, which the Commission has recently unveiled, should be implemented by 2018. More specifically, they called for "swift and determined progress" on:
- initiatives that aim to create a free and secure digital single market
- the introduction of a services passport that would make it easier for businesses in key areas to offer their services in another EU country
- action towards the capital markets union
- efforts towards better regulation
The European Council reiterated its readiness to support the government of national accord in Libya. It also welcomed the presentation of the global strategy for the EU's foreign and security policy and invited the relevant institutions to take the work forward.
global strategy for the EU's foreign and security policy: http://eeas.europa.eu/top_stories/pdf/eugs_review_web.pdf
Source and additional information:
Shoot location: Brussels - BELGIUM Shoot date: 28/06/2016 Copyright: No commercial use. Credit 'The European Union' URL