EU-Indonesia FLEGT VPA
Indonesia and the European Union work together to stop illegal logging and its associated trade
Illegal logging has a devastating impact on some of the world's most valuable remaining forests, and on the people who live in them and rely on the resources that forests provide. In 2003, the European Union published the Forest Law Enforcement, Governance and Trade Action Plan. This Action Plan sets out several measures to tackle illegal logging in the world’s forests and foster good forest governance.
One of those measures is the Voluntary Partnership Agreement (VPA). The VPA aims to halt trade of illegal timber and ensure that only verified legal timber and timber products are placed on the EU market. It is a legally binding trade agreement between the EU and a timber exporting country. Indonesia and the European Union signed a Voluntary Partnership Agreement (VPA) on 30 September 2013 and the bilateral Agreement came into force on 1 May 2014.
An important foundation of the VPA is the Indonesian timber legality assurance system or Sistem Verifikasi Legalitas Kayu (SVLK). The system assures that timber and timber products harvested, processed in and exported from Indonesia originate from legal sources and comply with Indonesian laws and regulations.
Indonesia and the EU are currently implementing the Agreement. For more information on progress of the VPA and Indonesia’s SVLK, please visit the SILK website.
Voluntary Partnership Agreement
- VPA between the European Union and the Republic of Indonesia - Brussels, 30 September 2013 [2 MB]
- Amendments to the Annexes I, II and V of the VPA between the European Union and the Republic of Indonesia - Brussels, 8 July 2015 [2 MB]
Indonesia-EU FLEGT VPA Joint Expert Meeting
- Record of Discussion - Jakarta, 2 February 2016 [49 KB]
- Record of Discussion - Jakarta, 7 May 2015 [47 KB]
- Record of Discussion - Jakarta, 26 March 2015 [192 KB]
- Record of Discussion - Jakarta, 29 January 2015 [187 KB]
Record of Discussion - Solo, 17 November 2014 [179 KB]
Indonesia-EU Joint Working Group
- Public Summary: Joint Working Group Closure Report on Advancement of VPA Implementation - January 2016 [3 MB]
Record of Discussion - Jakarta, 13 February 2015 [185 KB]
Indonesia-EU FLEGT VPA Joint Implementation Committee
- Record of Discussion - Jakarta, 8 July 2015 [236 KB]
- Press Release: VPA JIC recommends that Indonesia and the EU initiate internal preparations for FLEGT licensing - Jakarta, 8 July 2015
- Record of Discussion - Jakarta, 12 February 2015 [165 KB]
Record of Discussion - Jakarta, 24 September 2014 [194 KB]
- Summary of Indonesia-EU Action Plan on the Advancement of VPA Implementation - 8 July 2015 [133 KB]
- Summary of Indonesia-EU Action Plan on the Advancement of VPA Implementation - 15 March 2015 [29 KB]
- Public summary with results of the second stage of the joint assessment of Indonesia's TLAS - 23 September - 31 October 2014 [201 KB]
- Briefing note - May 2011 [450 KB]
Back to TRADE POLICY ISSUES