SPAIN – España (30/04/2015)
COLLABORATE WITH SPAIN!
SPAIN – CHINA RESEARCH & INNOVATION COOPERATION
Priority fields of cooperation
Environment (including water-related issues), energy, health, biotechnologies, information and communication technologies as a cross-cutting issue across the aforementioned subjects
Main initiatives and programmes
- Innovation programme – CHINEKA – between CDTI (Centre for the Development of Industrial Technology) and TORCH (Chinese Institute for High Industrial Technology).
- Cooperation agreements for joint research & expert’s mobility between the Spanish Research Council (CSIC) and the Chinese CAS and NSFC.
- A MoU was signed in 2011 between the Academy of Mathematics and Systems Science, the Beijing International Centre of Mathematical Research, the Chern Institute of Mathematics and the Instituto de Ciencias Matemáticas (ICMAT-CSIC) for cooperation in the field of Mathematics and its Applications.
- Sino-Spanish Cooperation Working Plan on Renewable Energies with the Energy Research Institute of China (ERI), involving the IDAE, the CENER (linked to the MINECO through CIEMAT) and the Spanish Electric Network.
- In 2011 two Forums were celebrated in Beijing: the Sino-Spanish Forum on Renewable Energy, as a joint activity of CIEMAT and the MOST, and the Forum on Technological Cooperation, under the agreement TORCH-CDTI, on biotechnology, food, and tool-machinery.
- In 2013 the II Technology Forum TORCH-CDTI was held in Madrid, and in 2014 the III Technology Forum was held in Chengdu.
- Important agreements have been signed to mutually recognize the academic degrees and diplomas issued by the Education ministries of both countries.
- More than forty Spanish universities have developed bilateral relations with key Chinese universities and organizations, among the most active ones in S&T cooperation we could mention: Universidad Politécnica de Valencia, Universidad Politécnica de Madrid and Universidad Politécnica de Cataluña.
- In 2012 it was created the Sino Spanish Campus (SSC), is co-founded by Tongji University, Technical University of Madrid (UPM) and Technical University of Catalonia (UPC), with headquarters in Tongji, Shanghai.
- CIEMAT has signed several agreements with different Chinese institutions such as the Institute for Electrical Engineering of the Chinese Academy of Sciences.
- The Sino-Spanish Centre for the Promotion of Renewable Energies.
- The International Centre for Numerical Methods in Engineering (CIMNE, based in Barcelona, Spain) has created an extension office in Beijing, with the support of the Ministry of Economy and Competitiveness.
Information on bilateral agreements
- Agreement on S&T Cooperation between the Kingdom of Spain and the People’s Republic of China was signed in 1985.
- Joint declaration on industrial, technological cooperation and cooperation in the fields of Telecommunications and Information Society, signed in 2002.
- MOU between Spanish CDTI & Torch “High Tech Industry Development Center”. To foster the technology cooperation between entities of Spain and China through joint research and technology development projects
- Joint declaration on facing new challenges in the bilateral relationship which includes promoting further S&T cooperation, signed in 2005.
- MoU between the Ministry of Science and Technology of China (MOST) and the former Ministry of Science and Innovation (Spain) on scientific and technological cooperation, signed in 2011. From December 2011, the responsibilities in science, technology and innovation in Spain have been taken over by the Secretariat of State for Research, Development and Innovation of the Ministry of Economy and Competitiveness.
- MoUs between research and technological Institutions from China and Spain (Spanish Research Council – CSIC, the Spanish Oceanographic Institute – IEO, Spanish Centre for Energy, Environment and Technology Research – CIEMAT).
EU or multilateral joint initiatives
- Spain has cooperated so far with China in 126 projects within the 7th Europe’s Research Framework Programme (FP7). The most active fields of cooperation under this framework are “Information and Communication Technologies”, Food, Agriculture and Fisheries and Biotechnology and Environment.
- The Spanish Centre for Renewable Energies CENER (Centro Nacional de Energías Renovables) took part in the feasibility study, carried out under the leadership of RISO Denmark, on the creation of the national Centre for Renewable energy of China (CNREC).
- CENER takes part in the Sino-Spanish cooperation Working Plan on renewable Energies, an agreement signed between IDEA and ERI.
- The Astrophysical Institute of Canary Islands (IAC) is cooperating with the National Astronomy Observatories if the Chinese Academy of Sciences (NIAOT) under the international agreement SONG (Stellar Observations Network Group), led by the Stella Astrophysics Center of the Aarhus University (Denmark).
SPAIN FUNDING PROGRAMMES
- RAMÓN Y CAJAL – co-funding recruitment of doctoral level researchers
- PROGRAMME I3 - permanent incorporation of “Ramón y Cajal” contract beneficiaries
- TORRES QUEVEDO - permanent contracts for doctors in the private sector
- Grants for the promotion of youth and the implementation of Youth Warranty for R&D & Innovation
- Contracts for training PhDs in enterprises (Industrial Doctorates)
- EMPLEA 2015 – grants for contracting and training technologists for R&D and Innovation activities at enterprises
- CONTRACTS FOR TECHNICAL STAFF SUPPORTING R&D+I
- i-PFIS Contracts: Pre-PhD contracts Health Research Institutes (IIS)-Enterprise on Health-related Scientific and Technologies
- Grants in health: FGIN, Río Hortega Contracts, Juan Rodés Contracts, Miguel Servet Contracts, Sara Borrell Contracts
- IKERBASQUE – mobility to institutions in Basque Country
- ICREA Senior Call - mobility to institutions in Catalonia
- Amarout II Europe Programme – incoming fellowships
- Grants for studies in Spain and abroad for foreign and Spanish nationals
MORE INFORMATION AND USEFUL LINKS