Frequently Asked Questions

What does the Delegation in Beijing do?

For information on the Delegation of the European Union in China, please visit our 'About Us' section

What is the European Union?

For information on the European Union, other EU institutions and the EU in general, please visit the 'EU Guide' section on this website.

How can I apply for funding from the European Union?

It is EU Policy to offer grants and funding to all sorts of different projects. For an overview and more information on application, please visit http://ec.europa.eu/grants/index_en.htm

How can I get a job with the European Union?

The Delegation of the European Union publishes local positions available in Beijing on this website and in selected publications. Please consult the 'Job Vacancies' section on this site to see if there are positions currently open and how to apply. Please check back regularly for updates.

If you are a European National and are interested in working full time for the European Union, please do consult the European Personnel Selection Office website at http://europa.eu/epso/index_en.htm.

The European Union Delegation in China also offers a number of unpaid internships in Beijing, both for European and Chinese nationals. If you are interested in applying for an internship with the Delegation, please send a CV and covering letter, stating clearly when you would be available, to DELEGATION-CHINA@ec.europa.eu or by fax to +86 10 8454 8011.

How can I get a visa for the European Union? Is there a single visa for travelling to all EU countries.

The European Commission can not issue visas to enter the European Union and can not help you apply for such a visa. To obtain a visa to travel to the European Union, you must apply to the Consulates of the Member States of the European Union (see here). Please check with these Consulates regarding application procedures.

There is no single visa for travelling to all 28 Member States. However, since the Schengen Agreement visitors to the EU require only one visa for thirteen of the twenty-seven Member States (Belgium, Denmark, Germany, Greece, Spain, France, Italy, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Austria, Portugal, Finland and, Sweden), as well as non-EU countries Iceland and Norway. To learn more about the 'Schengen Visa' please visit http://www.eurovisa.info/.

How can I study in Europe?

If you would like to engage in a full undergraduate or postgraduate degree at an academic institution in a Member State of the European Union, please consult with the Embassy of the Member State of your choice, and/or with the academic institution directly.

The European Union offers the 'Erasmus Mundus' programme, a co-operation and mobility programme in the field of higher education which promotes the European Union as a centre of excellence in learning around the world. It supports European top-quality Masters Courses and enhances the visibility and attractiveness of European higher education in third countries. It also provides EU-funded scholarships for third country nationals participating in these Masters Courses, as well as scholarships for EU-nationals studying in third countries. For more information on this programme please go to http://ec.europa.eu/education/programmes/mundus/index_en.html